History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

16, Castle Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0492 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8055 / 2°48'19"W

OS Eastings: 347358

OS Northings: 461767

OS Grid: SD473617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.D7

Mapcode Global: WH846.WH76

Entry Name: 16, Castle Park

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383082

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/50 (South side)
22/12/53 No.16

GV II

House, formerly 2 houses, originally part of a row of 5, now
offices. Mid C18, raised and altered C19. Sandstone ashlar
with ashlar dressings on the front and side, coursed rubble on
the rear with a rendered second storey. Slate roof hipped to
the left with a chimney set back towards the rear, and a gable
chimney stack to the right. T-plan with a double-depth front
range, with a 2-storey bow window on the back wall to the
left, and a rear wing extended into a former outbuilding.
3 storeys above a cellar and 6 bays under an eaves cornice,
with the doorway in the third bay and with chamfered quoins to
the left, and to the right on the second floor above the
junction with No.14 (qv). The sill bands on first and second
floors return around the left-hand gable wall, where there is
a window on each floor. All the windows have moulded
architraves, as does the doorway, and are sashed without
glazing bars. The doorway is approached up a flight of 4 steps
with railings of cast-iron 'turned' balusters and standards
with urn finials. The recessed door has 9 panels and an
integral overlight. Rebuilt stonework to the right of the
door, and the Ordnance Survey 5 feet to one mile map surveyed
in 1845, suggest that there were originally paired entrance
doorways in the 2 central bays.


Listing NGR: SD4735661760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.