This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5288 / 51°31'43"N
Longitude: -0.11 / 0°6'35"W
OS Eastings: 531203
OS Northings: 182796
OS Grid: TQ312827
Mapcode National: GBR M6.G4
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1TQV
Entry Name: Numbers 32-42 (Even) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368518
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell St Mark
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW AMWELL STREET
635-1/68/32 (East side)
29/09/72 Nos.32-42 (Even)
and attached railings
Six terraced houses, one with corner shop called 'Lloyd's
Dairy, on east side of slope of hill approaching Claremont
Square from the south. 1828-1829. By William Chadwell Mylne,
Surveyor for the New River Estate. Yellow stock brick set in
Flemish bond with stucco ground-floor to no. 40, wooden
shopfront and stucco ground-floor to no. 42 and stucco
dressings; Welsh slate mansard roof to no. 42, other roofs
obscured, party-wall brick stacks. Side-hall entrance plan
except no. 42 which has a shop. Three storeys with basement; 2
windows each plus 1 window to left-hand return wall in River
Street. Round-arched entrance (no. 42 with impressive side
entrance to return wall in River Street flanked by attached
Doric columns carrying entablature and blocking course):
fluted 1/4 column jambs carrying corniced-head, fanlight (nos.
32, 36, 38, 42 patterned) and all with C20 door. 6/6 sashes
with curved and radial glazing bars and most with margin
lights to ground-floors except no. 42. No. 42: mid to late C19
double shopfront articulated by console bracketed pilasters to
either end supporting curved fascia (with painted glass in
gold script, lettering inscribed 'Dairy Farmer LLOYD & SON
High Class Dairy Produce') and moulded cornice; prostyle Doric
portico to corner entrance carrying projecting curved corner
fascia; pair of original panelled shop-doors in corner recess
surmounted by wooden rectangular overpanel; entrance flanked
by 3-light shop windows with elliptical-shaped tops and panels
beneath. Gauged-brick flat arches with 6/6 sashes to upper
floors; 1st floor stucco sill band beneath full-length sashes
set in arched brick recesses linked by stucco impost banding
with individual cast-iron balconies most with Vitruvian scroll
and anthemion pattern to railings. Some rebuilding to upper
floors; stucco panels over 2nd floor sashes to no. 42. Plain
brick parapet with brick string course and stone coping.
Attached cast-iron railings with ball and disc finials.
INTERIOR: Lloyd's Dairy (no. 42): ground-floor with very fine
early C20 grained and panelled oak counters with marble tops;
some refrigerated 'made to measure' counters used to keep
churns; 1950s Frigideric freezer; period shelves to walls.
Lloyd's Dairy, contrary to local legend, began here in 1914;
prior to that it had been an auctioneer's since at least 1861.
The dairy included a shop from 1921. It is probably not one of
the original Welsh dairies, but is still run by the Lloyd
family and 'one of the finest existing dairies...'
(Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-: 42
AMWELL STREET; Daily Telegraph: 'We'll Keep a Welcome in the
Dairies': London: 1972-: 22 NOVEMBER).
Listing NGR: TQ3120382796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings