This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.742 / 53°44'31"N
Longitude: -2.9872 / 2°59'13"W
OS Eastings: 334986
OS Northings: 427746
OS Grid: SD349277
Mapcode National: GBR 7TL5.2B
Mapcode Global: WH85P.26SM
Entry Name: Ansdell Baptist Church
Listing Date: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385228
Location: Fylde, Lancashire, FY8
Electoral Ward/Division: Ansdell
Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lytham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 32 NW; 621-1/2/1
LYTHAM ST ANNES,
ANSDELL ROAD NORTH, (east side),
Ansdell Baptist Church
Baptist church. Dated 1908 over west doorway.
Accrington brick in stretcher bond, with sandstone dressings
and graduated Cumbrian slate roof with red ridge tiles.
Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style.
Nave on north-south axis, with east and west transepts,
north-west tower, narthex at north end and apse at south end.
The 3-bay nave (the 3rd bay canted out to form a diagonal
junction with the transept) has buttresses, weathered stone
coping to the plinth, a broad band segmentally-arched over the
windows, a thin moulded cornice and a parapet swept up to
upstands between the bays; and segmental-headed 3-light
windows with arched centre lights, transomed outer lights and
arcaded tracery in the heads.
The north gable has a large segmental-headed 3-light "west"
window with stylised tracery and a hoodmould with Art Nouveau
whiplash returned ends, and below this the flat-roofed narthex
has a segmental-headed doorway at the west end and a parapet
with a carved stone plaque dated 1908.
The tower at the east end of the narthex, of three stages with
straight diagonal buttresses carried up above the parapet, has
a north doorway (up 5 steps) with an elaborate stone surround
including a gable breaking through an arcaded parapet, and a
belfry stage with coupled glazed windows and a high parapet
with a triangular shaft rising through an upstand in the
centre of each side.
Each transept has two windows like those of the nave, a large
oculus above these with geometrical tracery, and stepped gable
coping with apex cross.
INTERIOR: hammer-beam roof; stained glass in contemporary
debased Art Nouveau style; original numbered benches;
Gothic-style dais and desk; 2-centred arched organ loft in
apse (which contains meeting room at ground floor beneath
Listing NGR: SD3498627746
Other nearby listed buildings