This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7913 / 50°47'28"N
Longitude: -3.6618 / 3°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 282965
OS Northings: 100401
OS Grid: SS829004
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZJ4V
Mapcode Global: FRA 3760.5U3
Entry Name: Congregational Chapel and the Manse
Listing Date: 2 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387040
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 HIGH STREET
672-1/5/115 (North side)
Congregational Chapel and the Manse
Congregational Chapel and adjoining manse. 1865 (Pevsner).
Front elevations of snecked grey limestone with Ham Hill
dressings; limestone rubble and brick to other elevations of
chapel; return of manse brick. Slate roofs; stacks to manse
with brick shafts. Baroque style. 5-bay chapel to right,set
back from the manse to the left.
Exterior: 3-bay front has Ionic pilasters to stone entablature
and pedimented gable broken by semi-circular arch to central
bay. Central ground-floor bay is divided into 3 by pilasters
with a platband and moulded cornice above, framing keyed
round-headed arches on brackets to central 2-leaf door flanked
by blind doorways having timber panels with round-headed
grooved moulding.Round-headed fixed window with spoke glazing
bars above the door with a moulded eared shouldered architrave
with a keystone. To left and right of the centre bay, 12-pane
sashes. Above the sashes round-headed gallery windows have
moulded stone architraves with keyblocks to the heads and are
glazed with round-headed sashes with spoke glazing bars. The
5-bay right return has recesses with brick brick qouins to
each bay: ground floor windows 12-pane sashes; first floor
windows round-headed with glazing bars. The left return
probably similar but largely obscured by the manse. The manse
is in a matching but The manse is in a matching but plainer
style. 2 storeys. Gabled roof, end on to the forecourt. Axial
stack and front left corner stack. Asymmetrical 2-bay front
with a moulded coping to the gable. Round-headed doorway to
the right with a keystone and moulded stone architrave with
pilasters with capitals and a 4-panel door with richly-moulded
panels and a plain 2-pane fanlight. Windows all have moulded
stone architraves with keystones and shouldered pilasters with
capitals. Windows glazed with round-headed 4-pane sashes: one
window to the ground floor, 2 to the first floor. The left
return of the manse is Flemish bond brick with moulded brick
corbels under the eaves and a cable-moulded brick stringcourse
at first floor level. 12-pane first floor sash in the centre.
The ground floor has a boarded door to the left with an
overlight; a 3-pane fixed window alongside to the right and
one first and one ground floor sash.
Interior: Not inspected but probably of interest.
The chapel replaced a 1757 meeting house in Broad Street
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N., & Cherry, B.,: Devon:
Listing NGR: SS8294200380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings