This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1328 / 51°7'58"N
Longitude: -3.0066 / 3°0'23"W
OS Eastings: 329664
OS Northings: 137539
OS Grid: ST296375
Mapcode National: GBR M5.8VGZ
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.TSWG
Entry Name: Bridgwater Dock, Tidal Basin, Locks, Quaysides, Bridges and Fittings
Listing Date: 6 June 1973
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373956
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
736-1/5/140 (North side)
06/06/73 Bridgwater Dock, Tidal Basin, locks,
quaysides, bridges and fittings
(Formerly Listed as:
Bridgwater Dock and Tidal Basin, inc
locks, quaysides, fittings & 2
Dock and installations. Opened 1841. By Thomas Maddicks. Blue
lias stone, granite, timber and cast-iron.
Long rectangular dock to the south-west connected by a lock
and bridge to the trapezoid tidal basin to the north-east. The
dock walls are of coursed stone, timber upright fenders to
south, the quay edges are granite to north and south-east and
fronting Wares Warehouse (qv); to south and south-west they
are of freestone; the north-west side is C20. The 3 sets of
locks, to west into the Bridgwater and Taunton canal, to east
into the tidal basin and from it a lock for barges into the
River Parrett, are lined with brick.
A double-leaf bascule road bridge which worked on the same
principle as Tower Bridge London, though this was manually
operated, connects the banks between the 2 basins and C20
concrete works have immobilized the wide gates to the ship
entrance of the tidal basin which worked as a huge lock.
The tidal basin quays are of thin upright freestone blocks,
surrounded by many small winches on pedestals with the
machinery protected by metal housing, bollards, and railings.
The main dock has a cogged base of a crane turntable to the
south-west and C20 railings.
Flanking the lock between the basins are large winches with
chains in cast-iron housings.
History: Thomas Dawe Maddicks, b1801 and a relatively unknown
engineer, is credited with the work. In 1840 the sluicing and
scouring devices designed by him were rare and it is possible
the Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who was constructing the railway
and had designed Bridgwater Station, may have advised him. The
Canal Company built a brick kiln to use some of the clay spoil
to make bricks and tiles for the structures associated with
the dock. The dock is situated where the River Parrett,
navigable for 3-400 ton vessels, joins the Bridgwater-Taunton
(Murless B J: Bridgwater Docks and the River Parrett:
Bridgwater Somerset: 1983-: 15; Buchanan C A: Guide to
Industrial Archaeology of Central Southern England: London:
1980-: 116; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 193).
Listing NGR: ST2966437539
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings