This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3489 / 50°20'56"N
Longitude: -3.5785 / 3°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 287788
OS Northings: 51079
OS Grid: SX877510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RJ77
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.TYR
Entry Name: No 22 Including Conduit
Listing Date: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387303
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 NEWCOMEN ROAD
673-1/8/186 (West side)
House, now split into flats. Probably 1792, the date on the
water conduit (see below), some C19 and C20 modernisation.
Plastered walls probably on stone rubble with brick dressings;
stack in left party wall with plastered brick chimneyshaft;
PLAN: Built end onto the street, one room wide and one or 2
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attics; 2-window range. Ground-floor
level is stucco with channelled rustication. Right end taken
up by the water conduit. Front doorway is right of centre and
is now open to the passage. Window to left with segmental-arch
head over horned 4-pane sash. 2-window front above, all with
segmental-arch heads and now with uPVC windows in the pattern
of 4-pane sashes. Timber eaves on pairs of large brackets and
hipped roof contains a front gabled dormer.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but likely to be of interest.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Water conduit to right front. Dated 1792.
Stone rubble, with rusticated stucco to match remainder of
front. A semi-circular round-headed alcove to the tap at
ground level. Above it another round-headed hatch doorway has
a pair of timber boarded doors, presumably giving access to
the plumbing. A small twisted iron hooked arm projects from
the wall from the top of the hatch. A stone plaque is recessed
in the wall above and is painted with a coat of arms over the
Listing NGR: SX8778851079
Other nearby listed buildings