This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3491 / 50°20'56"N
Longitude: -3.5785 / 3°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 287786
OS Northings: 51095
OS Grid: SX877510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RJ75
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.TYP
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387300
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 NEWCOMEN ROAD
673-1/8/183 (West side)
Church of St John the Baptist
Roman Catholic church. Nave 1868-9, chancel 1873-6 by JA
Hansom, architect. Local limestone rubble laid to rough
courses, Bathstone dressings (some replaced with concrete in
the late C20); slate roof.
PLAN: Church was built with No.20 (qv), the priest's house,
with a linking block making an overall U-plan. Nave is end
onto the street with apsidal western chancel. Gallery at
street end. Doorway into right (north) side from the link
block which runs along the street.
EXTERIOR: Minimal early Decorated style. Tall gable end on
chamfered plinth to street. 2-window front. Paired
trefoil-headed lancets to the lower level, taller lancets
above and roundel above them, all with tracery based on
trefoils. Image niche between the upper lancets with Gothic
canopy and pinnacles. Bathstone quoins and bands at window
sill and arch level although most replaced with concrete.
Front of the link block to right in same style. Doorway a
2-centred arch with hoodmould containing plank door with
Gothic-style ferramenta. Small lancet above lighting the steps
inside and presumably secondary gabled dormer above that.
Chancel has 2 arched, almost triangular-headed, windows with
tracery making 3 quatrefoils.
INTERIOR: Door into nave similar to external one. Nave has
plastered walls, floor of C20 plastic tiles and 4-bay roof of
open scissor-braced trusses. Tall chancel arch springing from
slender columns standing on corbels, and similar columns to
the ribbed roof of the chancel. Trefoil-headed arch to
piscina. Stone altar with blind Gothic arcade to marble
panels. Ornate Gothic-style reredos with carved figures in
niches either side of taller central niche with tall canopy
for the cross. Another similar, but less ornate, reredos
against south wall behind a plainer stone altar. C20 communion
rail. Plain joinery to the gallery and benches.
This modest church adds variety to an attractive street of
predominantly C19 architecture.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: P.324).
Listing NGR: SX8778651095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings