This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3511 / 50°21'3"N
Longitude: -3.5795 / 3°34'46"W
OS Eastings: 287721
OS Northings: 51319
OS Grid: SX877513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.R9ZL
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.M90
Entry Name: Collaford House
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387215
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 COLLAFORD LANE
673-1/8/90 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Merchant's house. Lease dated 1548 (see sources) but basement
apparently medieval and substantially remodelled in mid C17;
later modernisations including a major mid C20 refurbishment.
Mixed construction; thick stone rubble side walls and
plastered timber-framing on front and back walls above
first-floor level; right lateral stone rubble stack with
rendered chimneyshaft; slate roof.
PLAN: single-room plan, end onto Collaford Lane.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; one-window range. First-floor jetty
carried on corbelled ends of side walls. Basement has red
sandstone ashlar 2-centred arch which contains an old,
possibly C18, plank door hung on large wrought-iron strap
hinges; C20 window with glazing bars to left. At ground-floor
level, doorway on left side with stone steps off the lane
fenced by a timber balustrade (a pre-refurbishment photograph
shows one very similar but without the present turned
balusters). Doorway contains a C20 top-glazed 6-panel door.
Main window this level a 16-pane sash with an overlight,
reused from a late C18/early C19 doorway and has a radial
fanlight pattern of glazing bars (another similar window in
the right sidewall). Small window with glazing bars to right.
First floor has heavily-rebuilt oriel with 3 forward lights,
casements with glazing bars, shaped timber brackets and hipped
roof. Attic above has 2-light casement with glazing bars under
gable with shaped bargeboards.
INTERIOR: Largely the result of C20 refurbishment. Old
crossbeams are exposed and are of large scantling but are
crudely finished - only ground-floor front one is neatly
chamfered. Fireplaces are blocked with later grates and
chimneypieces. The stair, straight flight to first and newel
to second floor, is all C20, although the top landing
balustrade with its turned balusters is probably late C17.
Roof is inaccessible.
HISTORY: The owner has a set of photographs; before, during
and after the C20 refurbishment, and also a copy of the
earliest lease, dated 1548, from John Coplestone to Richard
Coleford. Photographs show door in present position.
An important component of a good group of listed buildings in
the vicinity of the Church of St Saviour (qv).
(1548 lease: DD 61369).
Listing NGR: SX8772151319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings