History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Humber Dock and Swing Bridge and Lock at South Entrance

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston upon Hull, City of Kingston upon Hull

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7385 / 53°44'18"N

Longitude: -0.3368 / 0°20'12"W

OS Eastings: 509797

OS Northings: 428190

OS Grid: TA097281

Mapcode National: GBR GNR.G7

Mapcode Global: WHGFR.S9S9

Entry Name: Humber Dock and Swing Bridge and Lock at South Entrance

Listing Date: 7 January 1970

Last Amended: 21 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387625

Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Myton

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text


680-1/25/206 (South West side)
07/01/70 Humber Dock and swing bridge and
lock at south entrance
(Formerly Listed as:
Retaining walls of Humber Dock on
east, west and south sides)
(Formerly Listed as:
Lock connecting with Humber Dock
Basin, lock gates & swing bridge)


Dock, now marina, with swing bridge and lock. Dock 1809, swing bridge dated 1846, with later C19 and late C20 alterations. Rectangular basin approx 250m x 100m, with rounded corners and slightly battered ashlar retaining walls, largely rebuilt in brick above water level. Rounded stone coping. Late C20 cast-iron bollards linked by chains. Lock, approx 50m x 10m, has slightly battered ashlar retaining walls with rounded coping. Shaped recess on either side into which the bridge swings when open. Steel gates and concrete abutments at each end, late C20. 2-span cast-iron cantilever swing bridge with road and rail tracks and wrought-iron railing. Strutted sections form a central arch when closed. Roller bearings at pivot end. Cast-iron drums contain the gearing and hand cranks which operate the bridge by engaging with a toothed sector. The cast-iron lids of the drums are inscribed "Haigh Foundry Company, Wigan 1846". Continuing to south of lock, running east and then south, walls of Humber Dock Basin which connects Humber Dock Marina to the River Humber. Slightly battered ashlar retaining walls with rounded stone coping. Late C20 cast-iron post and rail fence on north and part of east wall. East wall at southern end topped with late C20 brick wall.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.