This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1575 / 54°9'27"N
Longitude: -3.1825 / 3°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 322877
OS Northings: 474171
OS Grid: SD228741
Mapcode National: GBR 6N6C.SD
Mapcode Global: WH72B.2RSM
Entry Name: Chappells Tavern
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197884
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388424
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2274 CHAPEL STREET, Dalton In Furness
708-1/10/161 (South side)
06/05/76 Chappells Tavern
(Formerly Listed as:
CHAPEL STREET, Dalton
Premises occupied by Co-Operative
Co-operative stores now public house. Dated 1892. By JY
McIntosh. For the Dalton in Furness Co-Operative Society Ltd.
Builder J Garden. Coursed, squared limestone with red
sandstone dressings; slate roof.
2 storeys; 3:1:4-bay facade wrapped around corner of Nelson
Street and Chapel Street; symmetrical about corner entrance
but with extra bay on right return. Bays 2, 4, 6 & 8 project
slightly and all but bay 4 have shaped gables. Large quoins;
architraved cross-windows with 9-pane transom lights.
Corner entrance (now window) has architrave and date within
carved foliage flanked by pilasters which support a dentilled
segmental pediment. Continuous sill band to single-light
window; dentilled eaves cornice and broken segmental pediment
with large ball finials.
Bay-2 entrance to Nelson Street has architrave and recessed
double doors with sidelights; above are 2 oculi between 3
pilasters which support dentilled cornice crested by scrolls.
Apron panel to 1st-floor window; incised ashlar panel and
moulded sill to miniature attic window set in aedicule, its
triangular pediment forming base to a corniced stack.
Bays 1 & 3 have large shop windows with stained glass in
decorative margin-glazed transom lights; architraves and
dripmoulds. 1st-floor windows are linked by moulded sill band
and cut a string course; dentilled eaves cornice. Copings to
left end gable; hipped roof over corner entrance.
Chapel Street facade differs by having contemporary door
through right-hand shop window; 2 ridge stacks only; 4th bay
with vehicle entrance under shouldered lintel.
INTERIOR: in lobby from Chapel Street are limestone wall
plaques with names of Co-Op committee, architect and builder.
Original wooden staircase has turned balusters and square
newels with carved finials. Modillioned and dentilled cornice
to stair hall.
(Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1983-: 1, 59).
Listing NGR: SD2287774171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings