This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1566 / 54°9'23"N
Longitude: -3.1814 / 3°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 322948
OS Northings: 474060
OS Grid: SD229740
Mapcode National: GBR 6N7C.1R
Mapcode Global: WH72B.3SBD
Entry Name: Natwest Bank and Bank Chambers
Listing Date: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388529
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/10/2014
BARROW IN FURNESS, Dalton In Furness,
MARKET STREET (North side),
Natwest Bank and Bank Chambers
(Formerly listed as No.69, National Westminster Bank and Bank Chambers)
Bank and offices. c1895. For the Lancaster Banking Co. Ltd.
Rock-faced and ashlar limestone, graduated slate roofs.
2 storeys and attic with 2:1:2-bay facade wrapped around
corner of Nelson Street and Market Street. Battered plinth
with recessed window aprons. Ground floor has sill band and
channelled, rock-faced rustication; moulded sill bands to
upper floors. Corner entrance: later double doors and plain
fanlight under archivolt with insignia on keystone; rusticated
ashlar piers and carved corbels support balustraded balcony
with emblems and word 'BANK'.
1st floor has tall, paired sashes in moulded surrounds; carved
aprons to similar attic windows in half-dormer with pedimented
shield over. Both returns have recessed, tripartite sashes
under segmental arches with carved keystones (single sash to
left of doorway). Frieze with shields and original bank name
masked by sign; dentilled cornice forms 1st-floor sills to
plain sashes under flat arches with cornices and pedimented
2nd floor: bracketed sills to plain sashes in half-dormers
with cornices and peaked blocking courses. Interrupted eaves
have string course and corbel-table to moulded, cast-iron
gutter. Hipped roof with finial and corniced ashlar stacks set
to rear and at right end.
Side wing: entrance to Bank Chambers in angle on right has
panelled door and cornice on shaped bracket; double sash on
each floor to left and single sash over door; broad end stack
on left. Rear of wing has margin-glazed stair window with
leaded and stained glass.
INTERIOR: low banking hall ceiling in geometric panels with
fleur-de-lys and lion motifs; modillioned cornice with egg and
dart. Segmental arches through to rear, that on right with
leaded glass, dentilled transom and cornice. Bank Chambers:
original staircase with landing across stair window.
Good example of local town bank in little altered state.
Original plans submitted in 1892.
(Building Plans Register: 1892-: 486).
Listing NGR: SD2294874060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings