History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cyriac

A Grade I Listed Building in Lacock, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4161 / 51°24'57"N

Longitude: -2.1206 / 2°7'14"W

OS Eastings: 391708

OS Northings: 168567

OS Grid: ST917685

Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.4PR

Mapcode Global: VH96K.6N8T

Entry Name: Church of St Cyriac

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315487

Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lacock

Built-Up Area: Lacock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 9168
(south side)
4/53 Church of St Cyriac

Anglican parish church, mostly C15 with some C14 elements, restored
1861 by A.W. Blomfield and chancel rebuilt 1902-3 by H. Brakspear.
Rubble stone and ashlar with stone slate roofs. Elaborately
battlemented and pinnacled C15 nave and north aisle, plain late C15
south aisle, low and plain west tower, possibly C14 in origin with
battlemented bell-stage and ornate gabled octagonal cap to north
stair tower of the C15. Recessed octagonal spire rebuilt 1604.
Embattled west porch of c1500. North transept with Decorated
tracery of C14, but roof raised in 1861, south transept rebuilt in
C19 in matching style. West of south transept a C17 two-storey-
and-attic annexe called the 'Cottage'. Chancel externally entirely
of 1902-3 with harsh tracery and pierced parapet. Outstanding 2-
bay north-east chapel built c1430 for the Bonham and Croke families
in highly carved Perpendicular style, with unusual east window
tracery, lavishly sculpted battlements and gargoyles. Nave is of
3-bays with large clerestory lights and 6-light east window over
chancel roof, the 4-centred arch of the window echoed in a pierced
parapet over. West porch has lierne vault with Baynard of Lackham
arms. 'Cottage' annexe has ovolo-moulded mullion windows and
blocked west door of later C17 type, but a new 'yle' with gallery
is mentioned in 1619. Deep moulded elliptical-arched south door
with hoodmould possibly early C17.
Interior: evidence of several phases of building: tower arch
interrupted at springing, C15 north aisle has springers for
vaulting too low for tall C15 nave piers. High arches north and
south of crossing exposed only in 1861 but intended for rebuilt
transepts. One Decorated archway on south side of south transept.
Nave has original C15 roof boarded in C19, transepts have roofs of
1861, south aisle has roof dated 1617 but 3 corbels of C14 and C15
date indicate lines of previous roof. Chancel has fragment of arch
in south wall. North-east chapel has exceptionally rich lierne
vaulting with centre pendants, the bosses carved, the vaults
springing above finely-canopied wall-niches. Much of original
colouring survives. Evidence in masonry that chapel is in part a
remodelling of earlier structure. Furnishings: chancel reredos
1902, various wall plaques of C18 and C19 to Talbot family
including Sir John Talbot (d 1714), the architectural frame of
which is now the War Memorial, West Street (q.v.). North-east
chapel has some C15 stained glass and exceptional Renaissance
memorial (1566) to Sir W. Sharington of Lacock Abbey, possibly by
J. Chapman. North transept, organ in Gothic early C19 case. South
transept, or Lackham chapel, has series of memorials to owners of
Lackham House from C15 to C20 including fine brass to R. Baynard (d
1501), two elaborately painted wall panels of 1623 to east and Lady
U. Baynard, various C18 marble plaques to members of the Montagu
family, including one to Capt J. Montagu hero of Earl Howe's 1794
naval victory off Ushant, and brightly coloured south window of
1862 to Capt F.W. Rooke. In 'Cottage' c1700 pedimented memorial to
T. Cobborn and Greek Revival plaques to J. Skottowe (d 1820) by Sir
R. Westmacott and Dame P. Call (d 1822) by T. King. In south aisle
marble plaque to Bishop Johnson of Worcester (d 1774) and some C17
wall plaques. In nave font 1861 by Blomfield.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975; T. Vernon, Church Guide, 1980)

Listing NGR: ST9170968569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.