This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5458 / 51°32'44"N
Longitude: -2.152 / 2°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 389554
OS Northings: 183002
OS Grid: ST895830
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q5.2Q3
Mapcode Global: VH95Y.ND5T
Entry Name: Bradfield Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 12 December 1951
Last Amended: 3 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318025
Location: Hullavington, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Hullavington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hullavington Norton and Stanton St Quintin
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 88 SE
Bradfield Manor Farmhouse
( formerly listed as
Former mediaeval Hall, now Farmhouse. C15, much reduced in size post 1670 (after Aubrey's visit) when a west range and gatehouse were demolished. East block added in the early C17; interior of hall subdivided in the late C17. Further subdivision to hall and extension to north wing in the C19. Original open hall with C17 block attached to north-east corner and further north-west wing to rear forming U-shaped plan. Coursed rubble with ashlar flush rusticated quoins and copings, ashlar buttresses to hall, stone dressings and stone slate roofs: gabled to hall, hipped to C17 block. Two end stacks to hall: east of stone, west of brick; 3 tall stone stacks set on the diagonal to C17 block with further stone stack with brick cap to outside wall of staircase tower in rear angle. Hall south front of 2 storeys, 6 bays. Three left-hand bays of 2 and 3-light ovolo mullions with small pane glazing and hoodmoulds. Tudor-arched doorway with double wave moulding and early C19 bracketed flat hood on projecting jambs; 6-panel door with 3 glazed lights. Two 2-light pointed-arched Perpendicular windows with cinquefoil-cusped heads and quatrefoils above with hoodmoulds to right-hand. Two buttresses between, then one 4-light ground floor Perpendicular chamfered-mullion window under flat head with hoodmould and small pane glazing with outer cast iron bars. Above this a 3-light hollow-moulded mullion under flat head. Four similar windows to east wall. C17 block of 3 storeys and cellar
with 2 and 3-light cross-mullions, some blocked, others with small pane glazing. Moulded plinth course, 2 continuous moulded string courses. North front to hall has 1 blocked traceried Perpendicular window identical to those on south front and a further blocked single light Perpendicular window.
Interior. Hall subdivided: Dining Room to ground floor right-hand has complex moulded late C17 cornice. Roof structure of 6 bays: through-purlin with soot blackened arched braces to collars denoting open hall. C17 range is derelict at time of resurvey (April 1986). Oak staircase with turned balusters in tower giving access to rooms of fine proportions now stripped of original pine panelling and chimneypieces; one plain chimneypiece with basket-handle arch on second floor. Building presumed to be a C14 Priory by V.C.H.., but more likely to have been built as a C15 Hall 'in the old Gothic fashion' (Aubrey), by John Russell. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; June Badeni,
Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; Victoria County History, Volume 3;
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings