This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1646 / 52°9'52"N
Longitude: -1.8538 / 1°51'13"W
OS Eastings: 410095
OS Northings: 251828
OS Grid: SP100518
Mapcode National: GBR 3KP.64R
Mapcode Global: VHB0G.TVBG
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200681
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305042
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B50
Civil Parish: Bidford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bidford-on-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bidford-on-Avon
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1051 BIOFORD-ON-AVON CHURCH STREET
10/30 Church of St. Laurence
01/02/67 (Formerly listed as Church of
Parish Church. c.1250 Nave and aisles rebuilt by Joseph Lattimore; restored
1886-7. North vestry 1914. Coursed limestone chancel and tower, lias ashlar
nave and aisles cement parapets. Chancel and vestry roofs of tile, nave and
aisles of slate. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower, north porch and south-
west and north-east vestries. Chancel has moulded plinth to east wall and angle
buttresses. Trefoiled lancets throughout: 3 to the south, 2 to the north. Late
C19 east window of 3 stepped lancets and foils, with detached shafts inside.
Aisles have limestone plinths, and buttresses, and 4 straight-headed windows of
3 arched lights. North porch has double-leaf round-arched door with hood mould.
Tower in 2 stages: lower stage with heavily battered plinth and massive south-
east buttress. Renewed round-headed west window. Second sotrey south window of
2 very small round-headed lights. Bell stage has single-trefoiled straight-
headed openings. Crenellated parapet on moulded cornice. Interior: Chancel has
C19 panelled wagon roof and early English style chancel arch of 1886. Nave has
3-bay arcades with round piers and arches, and simple king post roof. Nave and
aisle walls of whitewashed plaster. 2-centred tower arch, with former roof-
line visible above. Fittings: Reredos of l865, C19 altar rails and encaustic
paving, C19 stained glass. Monuments: Lady Stepwith 1655, chancel south wall:
bust with coat of arms. Several C18 wall monuments in aisles.
(Buildings of England : Warwickshire p.92., V.C.H. Warwickshire III p.55).
Listing NGR: SP1011051887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings