This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0157 / 51°0'56"N
Longitude: -4.2064 / 4°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 245330
OS Northings: 126351
OS Grid: SS453263
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JB76
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.H2P
Entry Name: 4, Buttgarden Street
Listing Date: 19 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375767
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BUTTGARDEN STREET
842-1/6/54 (East side)
House. Believed to have been built between 1814 and 1820.
Rendered solid front. Slate roof, hipped to left. Rendered
chimney on each gable-wall.
Double-depth plan, 2 rooms wide, with central entrance-passage
leading to stair at rear. Small later annexe to left.
2 storeys; main building with basement and garret. 2-window
range with round-arched doorway between the ground-storey
windows. Annexe 1-window wide. Main building has in ground
storey horizontal channelling with voussoirs and keystones
marked in. Deeply-recessed door reached by 4 old stone steps,
the channelling continued into the sides of the recess;
6-panelled door with knocker; fanlight with radial bars; inset
round-headed shoescraper inside right jamb. Whole front has
flanking pilasters which stop well short of eaves. Continued
sills in second storey. Barred sashes throughout: in ground
storey 8 over 8 panes to left, 8 over 12 to right, and in
second storey 12 over 12 in each window.
Annexe has canted bay window in upper storey. Rear elevation
(clearly visible from Bideford Bridge) has canted bay window
and small-paned, round-arched stair window.
INTERIOR: entrance-passage has enriched cornice; round-arched
rear opening with pilasters. Wooden geometrical stair with
voluted foot to balustrade; rises to garret; slender turned
balusters with square necking-pieces, some of the balusters of
iron; moulded nosings to treads. Most of rooms have 6-panelled
doors, panelled shutters and moulded plasterwork. Ground-floor
left front, first-floor left front and rear rooms the best
with enriched cornices, friezes and ceiling-bands; also
foliated chandelier-bosses. Ground-floor left front room has
chimneypiece of grey veined marble with attached columns;
cast-iron grate with coloured tiles.
First-floor left rear room has simpler white marble
chimneypiece with cast-iron basket-grate. Left rear
ground-floor room, probably the original kitchen, has
slate-flagged floor. One roof-truss exposed; this has a high
collar supporting a kingpost, together with vertical struts
rising from tie-beam to principal rafters. The original owner
is reported to have been a surgeon.
(Title deeds: information from owner derived from: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SS4533026351
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings