This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0158 / 51°0'56"N
Longitude: -4.2102 / 4°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 245065
OS Northings: 126368
OS Grid: SS450263
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J988
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.FM3
Entry Name: Nos 82-94 Moreton Cottages Including Front Garden Wall and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 1 April 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375881
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 MEDDON STREET
842-1/6/174 (North side)
01/04/92 Nos.82-94 (Even)
Moreton Cottages including front
garden wall and gate-piers
Block of 7 former almshouses built to a single design. 1857.
Coursed stone rubble in varying shades of brown; painted
dressed stone quoins. Slate roof with crested yellow
ridge-tiles (some of the crests missing), replaced in some
parts with similar red tiles; slates renewed at No 84
(probably in asbestos) and tarred at Nos 88 and 94, the latter
2 having lost all their ridge-tiles. Fish-scale slating on
pent-roofs over ground-storey bays and canopy. Rendered
chimneys on the ridge between Nos 84-86, 86-88, 88-90, and
90-92, and on the end-walls at Nos 82 and 94. Chimneys on
ridge retain some good 6-sided pots with moulded caps.
Picturesque Domestic Revival style.
2 storeys; 7-window range. Middle and end houses are developed
as gabled projections, while at the others the upper-storey
windows rise into small gables set above eaves-level. Between
the storeys is a massive coved canopy over the ground-storey
Ground-storey windows take the form of canted wooden bays with
6-paned 2-light wood casements at the front and 3-paned lights
at the sides. Doorways and upper-storey windows have flat
arches with rough stone voussoirs. Most of the doors have been
renewed in late C20, but there are old plank doors at Nos 92
and 94, and in an additional, disused doorway on the left-hand
side at No 88; the door at No 94 has non-functional
strap-hinges, probably a later addition. Upper-storey windows
have 2-light wood casements, each light of 3 panes with
margin-panes. Above the window in the centre projection is a
blank square panel; the windows in the end-projections have
moulded circular panels in the same position and those under
the small gables have trefoiled panels. All 7 gables have
INTERIOR not inspected.
Front garden wall is of stone rubble matching that of the
cottages. Flat slatestone coping; 3 flat buttresses,
symmetrically placed. At each end is a pair of stone-rubble
gate-piers with steeply-pitched gabled caps of a lighter stone
These were the new Buck Almshouses. Foundation stone laid in
June 1857. An attractive composition, reflecting the influence
of early Domestic Revival architects.
(Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1857-: 23.6.1857, P.1).
Listing NGR: SS4506526368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings