This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5227 / 53°31'21"N
Longitude: -2.7452 / 2°44'42"W
OS Eastings: 350694
OS Northings: 403154
OS Grid: SD506031
Mapcode National: GBR 9W8P.GX
Mapcode Global: WH86R.SQZ8
Entry Name: Bounty Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 June 1973
Last Amended: 11 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389026
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50SW PIMBO LANE
783-1/4/56 (West side)
25/06/73 Bounty Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND
Bounty Farmhouse and adjoining barn)
Small farmhouse, now store, and unoccupied at time of survey.
Probably early C17, enlarged and altered in later C17,
enlarged and altered in C19 and subsequently; and dated 1667
and 1869 on a datestone of latter date at rear. Coursed
sandstone rubble with some remains of cruck and
timber-framing, stone slate roof on 2 levels.
Irregular plan formed by a 2-bay main range with a wing added
to the rear of the first in the later C17, and a one-bay
addition at the left end. The main range, 2 low storeys and 2
windows, has a blocked square-headed doorway offset to the
right, with a chamfered lintel, a small window close to the
junction with the addition to the left and a larger one above
this, both now boarded, one former window on each floor to the
right, both blocked with stone, and a timber wallplate under
Its north gable wall has been removed at ground floor to make
a cart shed (the lintel supported by a cast-iron column),
exposing a former rear wall of square framing with
wattle-and-daub panelling, including one blocked panel which
has pegholes in the rails (probably for fixing former wooden
mullions), a stop-chamfered axial beam with vacant mortices of
a former timber-framed partition, and purlins with vacant
windbrace housings at both ends.
The rear wing, of coursed thin sandstone rubble, has: on the
north side, a collapsed former dairy, a 2-light mullioned
fire-window near the rear corner, and a formerly mullioned
window at 1st floor (now boarded); in the gable wall a blocked
one-light window offset left at 1st floor; in the south side a
doorway, a loading doorway above this, and a datestone
inscribed: 1869/ MB/ 1667.
The addition at the south end is 2 higher storeys with one
window on each floor of both front and rear walls, all with
wedge lintels (and boarded at time of survey), and a doorway
in the rear wall. Internal inspection shows that most of the
boarded windows are small-paned sliding sashes of 2 or 3
INTERIOR: main range has a large lateral beam in the 1st bay
with a broach stop, and bottom half of cruck blade in the
partition between the bays; rear wing has a gable-end
inglenook with full-width chamfered bressumer and inserted
stone fireplace, and a stop-chamfered beam with original
joists; and an upper room with stone-flagged floor.
HISTORY: probably originated as a cruck-framed long-house,
with stone parlour wing added in late C17 and main range
rebuilt in stone, and partly raised, in early C19. Forms a
group with former barn approx 2m south (qv).
(Private Report and Surveys: Miller G: 1981-1990).
Listing NGR: SD5069403154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings