History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millets Farmhouse and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Up Holland, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5219 / 53°31'18"N

Longitude: -2.7449 / 2°44'41"W

OS Eastings: 350711

OS Northings: 403056

OS Grid: SD507030

Mapcode National: GBR 9W8Q.J7

Mapcode Global: WH86R.TQ3Y

Plus Code: 9C5VG7C4+P2

Entry Name: Millets Farmhouse and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 25 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389038

Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Up Holland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Description


UP HOLLAND

SD50SW PIMBO LANE
783-1/4/68 (East side)
25/06/73 Millets Farmhouse and attached barn

GV II

Farmhouse and attached barn-cum-shippon. House in 2 builds,
probably late C18 and earlier C19; barn dated 1835. The main
(later) range of the house is pebble-dashed with sandstone
dressings and slate roof, the portion to the rear is of scored
render with a stone slate roof, and the barn is of coursed
squared sandstone rubble with a slate roof.
Irregular plan with the earlier portion of the house forming a
link between the south end of the barn and the rear of the
main range, which is double-depth and faces south. The latter
is 2 storeys and 2 windows, symmetrical, with rusticated
quoins, 16-pane unhorned sashed windows with raised sills and
moulded architraves, overhanging eaves and gable chimneys. Its
west gable wall has a doorway towards the rear with a moulded
architrave and a glazed and panelled door with margin panes, a
4-pane sashed window to the right, and oversailing verges with
wavy bargeboards.
The older portion, now forming a 2-window rear wing, has a
glazed porch, and windows with altered glazing at ground floor
and 4-pane sashes above.
The barn range continued to the rear has an unusual
longitudinally divided 4-bay plan with shippons and stables to
the west and barn to the east: the west side has square-headed
doorways in the centre and at each end, a 6-pane fixed window
left of centre and a small window right of centre, a circular
pitching hole (now glazed) over the central doorway and a
datestone to the left of this inscribed: MA/ TA/ 1835. The
east side (rear) has a waggon doorway in the centre.


Listing NGR: SD5071103056

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.