This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5245 / 53°31'28"N
Longitude: -2.136 / 2°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 391081
OS Northings: 403101
OS Grid: SD910031
Mapcode National: GBR FWJP.C9
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.5N4X
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388878
Location: Oldham, OL8
Electoral Ward/Division: Hollinwood
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Hollinwood St Margaret and Limeside St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 90 SW,
OLDHAM, CHAPEL ROAD (north-east side),
Church of St Margaret
Parish church. 1877-79. By R Knill Freeman. Coursed and
squared rubble, cut in small blocks. Graded slate roof with
NW tower (1906), nave with two aisles and clerestory. Transepts,
vestry and chapel either side of chancel.
Tower has three principal stages, with west doorway with shafts to
archway, and plate traceried window to north. Decorated
windows and clock in upper stage, and triple chamfered lights
to bell chamber. Clasping buttresses, and embattled parapet.
5-light Decorated west window, with war memorial in traceried
panels below. Lean-to aisles, expressed as three bays each with
paired wide lancet windows. Paired Decorated clerestory lights
with sandstone ashlar dressings in shallow panels. 4-light
Decorated windows to transepts. Octagonal turret with spirelet
to north transept. Chancel chapel has 3-light mullioned and
transomed windows. 5-light Decorated east window to chancel.
2-storeyed north vestry.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade of clustered shafts in which
single-banded marble shaft with foliate capital carries square
wall pilaster supporting cambered trusses of coffered boarded
ceiling. Carved heads as capitals to responds. Subsidiary low
and narrow arch at west end with angel corbels. Wider eastern
arches to transepts, and higher blind traceried clerestory
over. Shallow segmental arches across eastern ends of aisles,
probably serving as buttresses. Organ chamber in north
transept with organ by Hills of London, 1886. Chapel to south.
Wide chancel arch with shafts. Canted oak traceried chancel
screen on stone base with ogival central arch and coved
canopy. Integral pulpit with paired open traceried panels in
Stained glass: south transept window by Capronnier, dated
1887. West window also Capronnier, dated 1884. East window in
medieval style with narrative in dark coloured medallions,
1882. Medallion in north-west window said to have come from
earlier church on site. Various marble memorial tablets on
west wall, including one commemorating James Wolfenden, a
Listing NGR: SD9108103101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings