This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5816 / 52°34'53"N
Longitude: -2.1271 / 2°7'37"W
OS Eastings: 391484
OS Northings: 298210
OS Grid: SO914982
Mapcode National: GBR 1DL.JY
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.9CBP
Entry Name: Calvary Chapel, Regents Court and St John's Cloisters
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201863
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378552
Location: Wolverhampton, WV2
County: City of Wolverhampton
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO9198SW ST JOHN'S SQUARE
895-1/13/311 (East side)
16/07/49 Calvary Chapel, Regents Court and St
Part of former convent including chapel, now a Pentecostal
chapel and offices. 1860. By Edward Welby Pugin. Brick with blue
brick patterning and ashlar dressings; slate roof. Decorated style.
Chapel has 2-storey, 3-bay wing to south, continuous with
Kings House (q.v.), with re-entrant courtyard, wing of 2
storeys with basement and attic and 3 bays to north, with
return wing. Courtyard has entrance screen with central
segmental-pointed arch and flanking segmental-pointed
entrances with overlights; coping raised over arch. South wing
has lean-to extension to ground floor to yard,
segmental-headed windows with 4-pane sashes, stack in roof
slope; rear similar. To left of courtyard a cloister with
segmental-pointed arches with C20 glazing. Chapel south
elevation of 3 bays with western octagonal stair turret;
cogged frieze. Upper level has 2-light traceried windows;
pointed entrance in projection. Turret has corbelled cornice
and slate spire with open bell stage; stair lights and
traceried lancets with sill course and continuous hood. West
end has rose window. East end is apsed, segmental-pointed
windows with casements to lower level, 2-light windows above.
North wing has buttresses, windows as to chapel and gabled
half-dormers; projecting 2-storey bay has rebuilt 1st floor.
Return wing similar but utilitarian. Inner courtyard to north
of chapel has plain arcading to returns.
INTERIOR: chapel on 1st floor level has arch-braced roof;
stalls to sides; enclosed balcony to north; west gallery over
passage; stained glass to apsed end.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SO9148498210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings