This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4502 / 51°27'0"N
Longitude: -2.6203 / 2°37'13"W
OS Eastings: 356989
OS Northings: 172544
OS Grid: ST569725
Mapcode National: GBR C2L.DZ
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JTL3
Plus Code: 9C3VF92H+3V
Entry Name: Dowry Parade and Attached Front Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379812
Location: Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672NE HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells
901-1/13/1447 (South East side)
08/01/59 Nos.293 AND 295
Dowry Parade and attached front
walls and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.293 AND 295
House, now pair of attached houses. 1763-4. Divided c1790.
Built by Benjamin Probert and Robert Comfort, in the style of
Thomas Paty. Red brick with limestone dressings, large brick
party wall stacks and a pantile double-depth roof.
Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a
moulded coping. Paired central doorways have raised ashlar
surrounds with imposts and a cornice, semicircular arches with
plate-glass fanlights and C20 doors. 5 stepped voussoirs to
6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, left-hand raking and
right-hand hipped dormers; the middle windows across the party
wall are blocked. Steps down to open basement areas, and
arched cellars beneath the deep flagged pavement; formerly
with railings. The rear elevation has a projecting full-height
central hipped section across the party wall. INTERIOR not
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached brick walls and capped piers to
HISTORICAL NOTE: doorcases with Gibbs surrounds and pediments
such as survive on the single-fronted houses in the parade
were replaced when the houses were divided. Various
speculative builders were involved, using designs similar to
those employed by Thomas Paty.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 202; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 202).
Listing NGR: ST5699072548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings