History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Cross Inns Court Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4205 / 51°25'13"N

Longitude: -2.5943 / 2°35'39"W

OS Eastings: 358774

OS Northings: 169221

OS Grid: ST587692

Mapcode National: GBR C8Y.7M

Mapcode Global: VH88T.ZKDD

Plus Code: 9C3VCCC4+67

Entry Name: Holy Cross Inns Court Vicarage

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379830

Location: Bristol, BS4

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Filwood

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Filwood Park

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST56NE INNS COURT GREEN, Knowle
901-1/57/1552 Holy Cross Inns Court Vicarage
08/01/59

II*

Stair turret. Early C15. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
pantiles and black glazed ridges. 4 sides of a hexagon.
Perpendicular Gothic style.
2 storeys with weathered buttresses at the angles; doorway in
the side second from right has a 4-centred moulded arch set in
a square moulded frame between the buttresses, with plain
shields in the spandrels; similar surrounds to single-light
windows in the 2 left-hand sides; over them and above the door
are 2-light ogee and cinquefoil windows lighting a landing and
(removed) run of stairs; ground-floor window to the right of
the door is similar to the above but smaller and higher in the
wall, and lights surviving stairs from off right up over the
door; above is a window with ogee tracery forming trefoils in
the spandrels; drip moulding above ground- and first-floor
window heads. From the left of the turret extends a wall,
sloped to a roof fall with a small 4-centred doorway. C19
shallow roof. The turret is attached to a mid C20 building,
(not included). INTERIOR not inspected.
The surviving fragment of a once larger house, and probably
built for the lawyer Sir John Innys, who died in 1439. 'The
most sophisticated piece of building from the early fifteenth
century [in Bristol].' (Gomme).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 72).


Listing NGR: ST5877469221

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.