This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4831 / 51°28'59"N
Longitude: -2.5394 / 2°32'21"W
OS Eastings: 362641
OS Northings: 176155
OS Grid: ST626761
Mapcode National: GBR CN7.H6
Mapcode Global: VH88G.XZWF
Entry Name: Manor Park Hospital
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379980
Location: Bristol, BS16
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Frome Vale
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Fishponds All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6276 MANOR ROAD, Fishponds
901-1/30/1274 (North side)
04/03/77 Manor Park Hospital
(Formerly Listed as:
Entrance block of Manor Park
Prisoner of war camp, work-house, now hospital. c1779.
Work-house from 1837, extended 1865, and hospital since 1946.
Pennant rubble with limestone ashlar porches, exterior stacks
and interlocking tile hipped roof. Axial, E-shaped plan.
3 storeys; 5:9:3:9:5-window range. A symmetrical front has a
3-window central projecting block, and 5-window T-shaped end
wings, with a central C19 porch with columns to a flat canopy;
C20 porches to the other ranges except the left-hand one.
Cambered rubble heads to late C20 windows. The side wings are
articulated by pairs of exterior decapitated stacks. Large
1861-5 five-window extension to the left has semicircular
ground-floor arches with chamfered surrounds, now glazed.
INTERIOR: remodelled C20.
HISTORICAL NOTE: constructed by the Admiralty as a prisoner of
war camp, holding prisoners from the wars with the American
colonies, and with France from 1793, an early and important
example. The other is at Yaxley, Cambs. Converted by the Poor
Law Commission, and a lunatic asylum from 1870.
(Site Record, Trial Survey of Gardens, etc. ACCES: Harding S:
SMR 2794: Bristol: 1987-).
Listing NGR: ST6264176155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings