This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4603 / 51°27'37"N
Longitude: -2.6124 / 2°36'44"W
OS Eastings: 357552
OS Northings: 173656
OS Grid: ST575736
Mapcode National: GBR C4H.5C
Mapcode Global: VH88M.NKTD
Entry Name: The White House
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380034
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773NE OAKFIELD ROAD, Clifton
901-1/3/900 (South East side)
The White House
(Formerly Listed as:
Central Electricity House)
Formerly known as: Oakfield House OAKFIELD ROAD Clifton.
House, now offices. Dated 1850. By Charles Dyer. Stucco with
limestone dressings, gable stacks, roof not visible.
Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, basement and
attic; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has an attic to the middle section, and
1-window outer blocks; a plain ground floor to a band, paired
giant pilasters with foliate capitals to the centre, plain
ones to the outside, a moulded first-floor sill band, frieze
and cornice, and tall parapet with 3 sections of balustrade
with slim column balusters over the windows.
A large porch has columns to acanthus capitals and a dentil
entablature, plate-glass overlight and C20 two-leaf doors;
inscribed on the left side CHARLES DYER/1850. Windows have
architraves and cornices, with consoles on the first floor, to
6/6-pane sashes. Small first-floor windows set between the
pilasters have margin panes, and taller first-floor 4/4-pane
sashes; 3/3-pane attic sashes.
The side elevations have chimney breasts separated by a blind
window, and stacks linked above the parapet by a semicircular
arch, the right-hand one containing a section of balustrade.
Rear elevation as the front, but with a central wide bow
between the pilasters, with a tripartite window, a frieze of
paterae and a balustrade above.
INTERIOR: central hall with a left-hand stair well containing
a good open-well winder stair, with stone treads and a smooth
soffit, cast-iron balusters with anthemia, and a ramped rail
supporting a late C19 lamp; to the left of the entrance is an
enclosed service stair with a dogleg winder with stick
balusters. First-floor fireplaces have paired pilasters and
doors to the firebasket; cornices with palmettes, 4-panel
doors and panelled shutters. Vaulted basement areas, and
half-glazed doors to the front with margin bars.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 266; Mowl T: To Build The Second
City: Bristol: 1991-: 143).
Listing NGR: ST5755273656
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings