This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4598 / 51°27'35"N
Longitude: -2.6113 / 2°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 357623
OS Northings: 173600
OS Grid: ST576736
Mapcode National: GBR C4H.FK
Mapcode Global: VH88M.PKCS
Entry Name: The Clifton Pool and the Victoria Public House
Listing Date: 12 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469313
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773 BRISTOL OAKFIELD PLACE
(North west side)
The Clifton Pool and The Victoria Public House
Swimming baths; public house incorporated later. Circa 1850; altered circa late C19 and C20. Stuccoed. Slate mansard roof behind parapet.
PLAN: Front range in classical style, probably originally containing medicinal and washing baths and other offices including the manager's house and boiler room, behind which is the rectangular open-air swimming bath with later Cl9 partly glazed galleries on two sides and a range of changing cubicles on the other side. The Victoria public house, incorporated into the right [NE] end of the front range, was added by 1867.
EXTERIOR: Front range, 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays with pilasters supporting entablature, raised at centre into the attic. Moulded window architraves, the ground floor with cornices, centre first floor with panelled pilasters and console brackets. Central doorway with Egyptian style architrave with pronounced batter and coved cornice. Attic above entablature with small square plain windows. Sashes, some replaced with casements, ground floor to right of centre replaced by doorway to, The Victoria PH. Right-hand [NE] return has broken cornice and lion over raised parapet . To the right a long blind wall with two doorways towards the right with moulded stone architraves, with keystones and console brackets supporting cornices with acroteria above, left doorway blocked and acroterion of right doorway missing. Behind front range and side wall is the swimming bath, on two sides of which are galleries supported on chamfered wooden posts and with cast-iron balustrades and glazed canopies with king-post trusses. The galleries are partly glazed, the glazing has margin panes and panelled risers. On the SW side there is a row of wooden cubicles with panelled fronts, boarded partitions and a camopy over.
INTERIOR: Only interior of The Victoria PH was inspected; its bar fittings have been replaced, but has late C19 chimneypiece in saloon. Inside the main entrance to the baths there is a kiosk and wooden open-well staircase.
Listing NGR: ST5762373600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings