This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4842 / 51°29'3"N
Longitude: -2.5292 / 2°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 363350
OS Northings: 176270
OS Grid: ST633762
Mapcode National: GBR CQ6.ST
Mapcode Global: VH88H.3YSL
Plus Code: 9C3VFFMC+M8
Entry Name: St Matthias' College
Listing Date: 20 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380068
Location: Bristol, BS16
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Frome Vale
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Fishponds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2013
OLDBURY COURT ROAD (West side),
St Matthias' College
Includes: St Matthias' College COLLEGE ROAD
College. 1851-2. By John Bevan with Jonathan Clarke. Extended 1903. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings; Pennant stone tile and clay tile roof, square stone diagonal stacks on the ridges and gable ends. 4 linked blocks around 3 sides of a quadrangle, open to the E. Gothic Revival collegiate style. To the N, an L-shaped block with a projecting entrance gable and octagonal stair tower, with a pierced parapet. 2 storeys, 3 storey front gable; varied fenestration of chamfered mullion and transom windows with eaves dormers on the second floor. 2-centred doorway with carved head hood stops; canted bay to W and lower eaves to E end. Main range to W has a central gable and an entrance tower at the N end; fenestration as above. 2-centred arched doorway in the tower with a pierced parapet and spirelet; cross hall to S has an octagonal bayed end with a pyramidal roof with louvred dormer windows, and a curved staircase with a ramped parapet; projecting wing to N, a 3-window range separated by buttresses. Chapel in SW corner with lancet windows, a 4-bay range to the nave and a bellcote on the west end. Later block on S side is 2 storeys; 8-window range with an octagonal stair tower 3rd from left with a pierced parapet and gargoyles on the corners; ground-floor segmental-headed windows, eaves dormers on the first-floor and an oriel in the E end; covered ground-floor connecting passage.
INTERIOR: the staircase in the main block with twisted, iron balusters and crenellated newels; the cross hall has a hammerbeam roof on carved corbels, and a stone winder stair with wrought-iron banisters. The chapel roof has alternating cusped arch-braced and scissor-braced trusses with pierced spandrels. Various Gothic fireplaces. Traceried stained-glass screen to ground-floor front wing gable.
The college was built as the Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Training Institution for School Mistresses, and is now part of the University of the West of England (Bristol Polytechnic at date of listing). One of the best Gothic Revival buildings in Bristol, with carefully varied plan and detail.
(Mowl T: Bristol The Last Age of the Merchant Princes: Bristol: 1991-: 21).
Listing NGR: ST6335076270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings