This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4555 / 51°27'19"N
Longitude: -2.5995 / 2°35'58"W
OS Eastings: 358439
OS Northings: 173112
OS Grid: ST584731
Mapcode National: GBR C7K.13
Mapcode Global: VH88M.WPL3
Plus Code: 9C3VFC42+55
Entry Name: Red Lodge and Attached Rubble Walls and Entrance Steps
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380113
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SW PARK ROW
901-1/10/164 (South side)
08/01/59 Red Lodge and attached rubble walls
and entrance steps
(Formerly Listed as:
The Red Lodge)
House, now museum. c1589. For Sir John Younge. Altered c1730,
restored early C20 by CFW Dening. Red rubble with limestone
dressings, ashlar lateral stacks and a pantile hipped roof.
C16 house remodelled in C18 as double-depth plan.
3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. A symmetrical garden
front has ashlar quoins, strings to each floor and timber
modillion quoins to overhanging eaves. Raised ground floor has
an arcade of 3 semicircular arches, formerly an open verandah,
now linked by an ovolo impost band, with ashlar aprons, each
with 2 mullions, a central half-glazed door and outer
12/9-pane sashes with thick ovolo-moulded glazing bars.
Moulded architraves to tall first-floor paired 12/12-pane
sashes, and smaller single second-floor windows with 4/4-pane
Shallow side projections, and rear with exposed timber-frames
to 12/12-pane sashes, and rubble quoins. Street entrance from
late C18 left-hand limestone ashlar single-storey porch, an
architrave to door with 4 flush panels.
INTERIOR: very fine late C16 joinery, plasterwork and
fireplaces, and early C18 joinery. Great Oak Room almost
completely original, fully panelled with fluted pilasters to a
dado and panels with semicircular arches to a cornice,
pedimented doorways and semicircular-arched doors, porch with
paired Ionic columns, heraldic panels and figures; fine
fireplace with paired fluted columns to a cornice, and paired
terms to the overmantel with strapwork panels; strapwork
plaster ceiling with pendents. Large early C18 rear open-well
stair with fluted column newels, triple barleysugar balusters,
wide surtail, and a moulded, ramped rail.
C18 reception rooms, formed by enclosing the garden verandah,
panelled with good fireplaces. Stone stair flight to street
entrance, with a good 16-panel door at the bottom. New Oak
Room has panelling and fireplaces from the Museum Reserve
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls around rear knot
garden; brick-walled steps up from the garden, with Ionic
capitals, and an elliptical arch to the front. Built as a
Lodge to Younge's Great House, destroyed in 1863. Modernised
c1730, when the garden verandah was enclosed and mullion
windows replaced. A very fine interior containing some of the
most important panelling in the country.
(Levitt S: The Red Lodge, City of Bristol Museum and Art
Gallery: Bristol: 1986-; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B:
Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 77-80; The
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol:
London: 1958-: 439).
Listing NGR: ST5843973112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings