History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4553 / 51°27'19"N

Longitude: -2.5982 / 2°35'53"W

OS Eastings: 358530

OS Northings: 173092

OS Grid: ST585730

Mapcode National: GBR C7K.C5

Mapcode Global: VH88M.XP97

Entry Name: Chapel House

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380714

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5873SE TRENCHARD STREET
901-1/11/301 (North West side)
08/01/59 Chapel House
(Formerly Listed as:
TRENCHARD STREET
St Mary's-on-the Quay School)

II

Catholic church, school, now flats. 1788-90. Gutted 1973,
converted c1980. Stucco with coursed, squared Pennant rubble
plinth and limestone dressings; pantile roof to flats. Late
C20 flats built behind the road and E end facades. Single
storey; 4-window range. A Pennant plinth, C20 coping, to
2-centre openings, a right-hand archway to a flagged passage,
with a stained-glass overlight, windows with Y-tracery, above
the door and larger to the right. The right return has a wide,
shallow bow, with 2 small C20 windows. INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the first Catholic church built in Bristol
after the Reformation. Had a simple interior with E apse,
formerly with a cornice and double doors.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 176).


Listing NGR: ST5853073092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRISTOL

ST5873SE TRENCHARD STREET
901-1/11/301 (North West side)
08/01/59 Chapel House
(Formerly Listed as:
TRENCHARD STREET
St Mary's-on-the Quay School)

II

Catholic church, school, now flats. 1788-90. Gutted 1973,
converted c1980. Stucco with coursed, squared Pennant rubble
plinth and limestone dressings; pantile roof to flats. Late
C20 flats built behind the road and E end facades. Single
storey; 4-window range. A Pennant plinth, C20 coping, to
2-centre openings, a right-hand archway to a flagged passage,
with a stained-glass overlight, windows with Y-tracery, above
the door and larger to the right. The right return has a wide,
shallow bow, with 2 small C20 windows. INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the first Catholic church built in Bristol
after the Reformation. Had a simple interior with E apse,
formerly with a cornice and double doors.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 176).


Listing NGR: ST5853073092

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.