History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clifton Library and Attached Front Railings and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4546 / 51°27'16"N

Longitude: -2.6196 / 2°37'10"W

OS Eastings: 357041

OS Northings: 173027

OS Grid: ST570730

Mapcode National: GBR C2K.KD

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JPYS

Entry Name: Clifton Library and Attached Front Railings and Gates

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380217

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5773SW PRINCESS VICTORIA STREET, Clifton
901-1/8/938 (South side)
No.13
Clifton Library and attached front
railings and gates

GV II

School, now library. Founded 1852. Designed by C Underwood,
rebuilt 1877 by Charles Hansom, additions 1891 by WT Bernard.
Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. U-shaped double-depth
plan. Italianate style.
2 storeys and basement; 11-window range. A symmetrical front
has later narrow projecting wings with clasping pilasters to a
coved cornice and panelled parapet, with an earlier and taller
centre with cornice and parapet, and a central segmental
pediment. sill and impost bands, those to the wings set in a
panel between the pilasters. Semicircular-arched doorways in
the returns have C20 doors. Windows have semicircular moulded
archivolts, 2 small windows to the ground floor of the wings,
and to the returns, and taller single second-floor windows to
the wings. The centre has three 2-window ground-floor arcades,
and smaller 3-window first-floor arcades, with CHRIST CHURCH
SCHOOL inscribed in oval panels between.
INTERIOR: largely rebuilt; stone dogleg stairs with
wrought-iron railings in the right-hand wing, and roof trusses
with chamfered queen posts.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron gates and ashlar wall
with fleur-de-lys head railings closes the forecourt between
the wings. HISTORICAL NOTE: one of a small number of pre-Board
schools in Bristol.


Listing NGR: ST5699073007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.