This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4537 / 51°27'13"N
Longitude: -2.6213 / 2°37'16"W
OS Eastings: 356927
OS Northings: 172928
OS Grid: ST569729
Mapcode National: GBR C2K.6Q
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JQ3G
Entry Name: Raised Pavement, Railings and Vaults Fronting Numbers 1 to 52 for Approximately 330 Metres
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380394
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672NE ROYAL YORK CRESCENT, Clifton
901-1/13/1012 (North West side)
08/01/59 Raised pavement, railings and vaults
fronting Nos.1-52 for approx 330
(Formerly Listed as:
ROYAL YORK CRESCENT, Clifton
(North West side)
Nos.1-12, 12A AND 14-46)
Raised pavement and vaulted cellars. Late C18/early C19.
Limestone ashlar and Pennant flags. The pavement extends up to
10m in front of the crescent, with steps down through basement
areas; each house has 3 segmental-arched vaults beneath. The
front elevation of the pavement expresses the vaults in triple
segmental-arched recesses, wider to the middle, most with
later garage openings. The left-hand end curves in, with a
flight of steps down, and there are 4 other sets of steps
along the pavement before it comes to ground level at the
right-hand end. INTERIOR: plain arched vaults.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron railings and stanchions
extend the full width of the front wall. A prominent feature
of what is reputed to be the longest terrace in Europe, and
forming an important part of the view of Clifton from the S.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the crescent was begun 1791 by James Lockier,
probably to a design of William Paty, work stopped 1793,
restarted 1809 and completed 1820.
Listing NGR: ST5692772928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings