This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.454 / 51°27'14"N
Longitude: -2.5922 / 2°35'32"W
OS Eastings: 358945
OS Northings: 172940
OS Grid: ST589729
Mapcode National: GBR C8K.PN
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0QY8
Plus Code: 9C3VFC35+H4
Entry Name: City Museum, Former Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380490
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE ST NICHOLAS STREET, Centre
901-1/16/662 (South side)
08/01/59 City Museum, former Church of St
Church, now a museum. Mid C14, completely rebuilt above the
crypt 1769, by James Bridges, steeple and interior by Thomas
Paty. Bath stone ashlar and Pennant rubble.
PLAN: nave and W tower. Georgian Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: windowless E end projecting to the centre,
articulated by slight diagonally-set buttresses; below a
moulded string are C14 rubble crypt walls with quatrefoil
openings. 7-bay N elevation, a re-set C15 three-light mullion
window in the E bay and an inserted C20 door to the W of that;
tall 5-light Perpendicular windows separated by buttresses up
to a blind arcaded parapet.
The crypt wall is exposed on the S side through the falling
ground, and has a gabled porch in the second bay from the W;
parapeted vestry in the SW corner has a 4-light S window.
2-stage tower: the N door has an ogee hood, with C20 glazing
and small entrance lobby; above is an 8-foil oculus; the
belfry has paired windows with ogee hoods, the bottom half
blind, the top louvred, and clasping pilaster buttresses,
panelled in 2 halves with trefoil heads to the belfry, a coved
cornice and open arcaded parapet, with pinnacles with ogee
gablets; on the S face is a clock. Octagonal 3-stage spire
with oculi around the middle stage.
INTERIOR: largely rebuilt after Second World War bombing. The
fine mid C14 crypt is 4 bays with tierceron vaulting and good
animate and foliate bosses, on triple attached shafts to the
aisles with foliate capitals, and continuous moulding to the
arcade; at the E end is an arched panel with good figure stops
and a hexafoil panel.
FITTINGS: C18 baluster-shaped font; brass eagle lectern c1480.
Memorials: C16 wall memorial with a panelled base, flanking
buttresses with pinnacles, an arch over with panelled soffit
and an effigy on one elbow.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The mid C14 church was demolished in 1762;
Bridges' design, building off the old crypt, was an early and
remarkably well-studied attempt at Gothic revival, and the
windows have similarities with those of St Peter's, Peter
Street (qv). The interior had a very fine Rococo plaster
ceiling by Thomas Stocking (Ison).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 171; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 65; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 404).
Listing NGR: ST5894572940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings