This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4529 / 51°27'10"N
Longitude: -2.5954 / 2°35'43"W
OS Eastings: 358724
OS Northings: 172827
OS Grid: ST587728
Mapcode National: GBR C7L.Z0
Mapcode Global: VH88M.YRS2
Entry Name: Nova House
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380659
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre
901-1/16/681 (North West side)
04/03/77 Nova House
(Formerly Listed as:
TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre
Offices. 1903. By Henry Williams. Brick with limestone
dressings, and slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan round a
central light well. Edwardian Baroque style.
2 storeys, attic and basement; 9-window range, with 3-storey
and attic rear block. The long entrance front has a raised,
rusticated basement, the upper floors articulated by banded
pilasters strips to a modillion cornice, parapet with square
section attached balusters between panelled dies, with large
The entrance front has 2:1:1:1:3:1 windows with pilasters
between, and 1 window in the splayed left-hand corner; central
doorway has fluted half-pilasters with faceted blocks, key and
modillion pediment, plate-glass overlight and double 8-panel
doors. Windows have keyed, eared Gibbs surrounds, ground-floor
with a sill band stepped down between them and dentil
pediments, and first-floor cornices; 4 large dormers, 2:1:2:1,
as the lower windows with side consoles to the paired ones,
and later dormers set between behind the parapet.
The left-hand return has 3:3 windows, paired dormers over
each, and the left-hand section has a 3rd storey with panels
to the lintels and an inserted central doorway. Ground-floor
plate-glass windows, and plate-glass sashes above. Basement
windows have incised voussoirs. INTERIOR: wide entrance stair
hall containing a lateral stair flight with 2
quarter-landings, cantilevered stone treads and wrought-iron
railings with leaves, and semicircular-arched windows up the
stairs with stained-glass lit fron the well; doorcases have
surrounds with fluted half pilasters and fluted cornices, to
2-panel doors; the hall has a wide bow-ended half-glazed
screen with curved panes; first-floor left-hand room half
panelled with a strapwork ceiling and very good Jacobean style
1700 stone fire surround, with paired Ionic columns, paired
Corinthian columns to the overmantel, strapwork and cornices
with a central panel painted 1 E 7/ 0 AM 0; a similarly-styled
1550 stone fire surround in the ground-floor hall has an
overmantel with 3 Ionic herms, painted shields and strapwork.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The fire surrounds came from No.7 Small
Street which belonged to the Elton family. Formerly the
offices of the National Telephone Co.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 80, 389; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 414).
Listing NGR: ST5872472827
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings