This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4591 / 51°27'32"N
Longitude: -2.6261 / 2°37'33"W
OS Eastings: 356597
OS Northings: 173528
OS Grid: ST565735
Mapcode National: GBR C1H.3T
Mapcode Global: VH88M.FLKB
Plus Code: 9C3VF95F+JH
Entry Name: Promenade House and Attached Basement Area Railings and Walls
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380700
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5673NE THE PROMENADE, Clifton
901-1/1/1075 (East side)
08/01/59 Promenade House and attached
basement area railings and walls
Formerly known as: Fanum House THE PROMENADE Clifton Down.
Formerly known as: Sundon House THE PROMENADE Clifton.
House, now office. c1840. Possibly by Charles Dyer. Limestone
ashlar, rendered sides and rear, lateral and ridge stacks and
slate hipped and cross-gabled roof. Double-depth plan.
2 storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical
front has clasping giant pilasters to an entablature, and
parapet with a thin cornice; a wide, central 3-light bow
extends up to a full attic storey lit by a glazed drum, with
giant Corinthian pilasters to dentilled entablature, and
pilasters to the attic; plinth and first-floor string.
Architraves to the windows and central ground-floor French
window, with console pediments to the outer windows on the
A symmetrical right-hand return has giant pilasters flanking a
central porch, frieze between the outer pilasters, and a
central, gabled attic storey flanked by lateral stacks.
The porch has distyle-in-antis Ionic 3/4 columns to an
entablature, and panelled parapet with balustraded centre;
moulded semicircular-arched doorway has a plate-glass fanlight
and C20 door. Flanking ground-floor and central first-floor
windows have console pediments, outer first-floor windows
blind, and a tripartite attic window with 2/4-pane sash.
The rear elevation is similar to the right side, with the
middle set back, an entablature and parapet, and central attic
gable. A wide 3-light canted bay projects across the middle,
with central French window and flanking 6/9-pane sashes;
ground-floor windows have console cornices, pediment to the
central first-floor window, and semicircular-arched tripartite
The left return in 3 sections, the left-hand one projecting,
with clasping pilasters, raised central attic storey, and
blind windows over lateral stacks.
INTERIOR: largely altered late C20: a round entrance lobby
with niches flanking the door, semicircular eared and keyed
arch to a central stair well, now containing a lift and C20
stair. Good Greek Revival-style ceiling mouldings to front and
left-hand rear rooms, marble fire surround to front right-hand
room with acanthus capitals, 4-panel doors and panelled
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached low curved walls to entrance,
cast-iron lattice railings to wide basement areas, and curved
Pennant steps from the front doorway.
A fine composition with facades to both sides of the corner.
Part of a remarkable group of houses including Taylor Maxwell
House (qv), Engineer's House (qv) and Trafalgar House (qv)
extending NW from Litfield House, Litfield Place (qv).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 268; Mowl T: To Build The Second
City: Bristol: 1991-: 162).
Listing NGR: ST5659773528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings