This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4594 / 51°27'33"N
Longitude: -2.6262 / 2°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 356590
OS Northings: 173561
OS Grid: ST565735
Mapcode National: GBR C1H.3Q
Mapcode Global: VH88M.FLH3
Entry Name: Taylor Maxwell House and Attached Front Balustrade
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380701
Location: Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5673SE THE PROMENADE, Clifton
901-1/1/1076 (East side)
08/01/59 Taylor Maxwell House and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
THE PROMENADE, Clifton Down
Formerly known as: Avonside House THE PROMENADE Clifton Down.
House, now office. 1839. By RS Pope. Limestone ashlar,
rendered side and rear, lateral and ridge stacks, and slate
hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style.
3 storeys and basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front
has projecting 1-window wings with attached ground-floor Greek
Doric columns set back between banded pilaster strips to an
entablature, wide pilaster strips above, to a full-width heavy
bracketed cornice, outer pediments with tall parapets and
wreaths in the tympana, and a parapet with raised central
sections. The centre is banded on the ground floor with a
distyle-in-antis Doric entrance, the doorway set back with an
impost band and C20 door, and a shallow right-hand bay with
First-floor windows are set in recesses with Corinthian
pilasters, the outer second-floor windows recessed with a
plain mullion, the middle ones with battered raised surrounds.
First-floor cantilevered stone balcony across the middle has
cast-iron balustrade of wreaths. 6/6-pane sashes, mullion and
transom casements first-floor outer windows. The left return
in 2 sections separated by a gap, outer windows with banded
ground-floor jambs, plain pilasters above to the cornice, and
a central 2-storey panel above the ground floor with waterleaf
moulding and anthemia in the corners.
Rear elevation is a 5-window range with a central ground-floor
bay articulated by fluted pilasters, a semicircular-arched
second-floor stair window with a stone balcony, both pierced
with rectangular holes with diagonal cast-iron railings; tall
left-hand oriel on iron stanchions with tripartite window.
INTERIOR: lobby to a rear central stair hall with an open
dogleg stone stair with moulded cast-iron balusters, and a
large fluted newel with a ball finial; left-hand central
lateral dogleg service stair with uncut string, stick
balusters and column newels; panelled reveals and 6-panel
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a central raised terrace across the front
has attached battered balusters between the wings, dies to
either end of a central stair flight, with plain urn finials.
A well-detailed house making good use of the corner site. Part
of a remarkable group including Promenade House (qv),
Engineer's House (qv) and Trafalgar House (qv) extending NW
from Litfield House, Litfield Place (qv).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 268; Mowl T: To Build The Second
City: Bristol: 1991-: 162).
Listing NGR: ST5659073561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings