This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4589 / 51°27'31"N
Longitude: -2.5764 / 2°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 360051
OS Northings: 173477
OS Grid: ST600734
Mapcode National: GBR CDH.7W
Mapcode Global: VH88N.9LBH
Entry Name: St Philip's Public Library
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380719
Location: Bristol, BS2
Electoral Ward/Division: Lawrence Hill
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Easton Holy Trinity with St Gabriel and St Lawrence and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW TRINITY ROAD, Laurence Hill
901-1/56/1564 (East side)
St Philip's Public Library
Library. Dated 1896. By WV Gough. Red and yellow striped
brickwork with limestone dressings, and a slate roof. Open
plan. Jacobethan style.
2 storeys; 6-window range. Symmetrical front with a central
bay projecting slightly, balustrade with square urns on the
corners, and a square, louvred cupola on the ridge capped by a
dome and weather vane.
The main entrance is a round-arched door between brick
pilasters; on the first floor above is a detailed heraldic
device of unicorns holding a Bristol coat of arms, beneath a
scrolled pediment on dwarf Ionic pilasters; the inscription
VIRTUE ET INDUSTRIA is underneath. The bay is topped by a
panel in the parapet reading ST PHILIPS PUBLIC LIBRARY/ 1896,
and a pedimented bellcote containing a clock. Chamfered
mullion and transom windows with elliptical heads in
rectangular architraves, of 3 lights, 2 transoms to ground
floor, 2-light windows each side of each bay.
In the centre of each side is a full-height canted bay with a
9-light window. Leaded and stained casement windows. To the
left is a single-storey block with a large round-arched
doorway on square responds with carved capitals, and a
pediment and cartouche above. Brick and ashlar striped piers
and steel railings to the front area.
INTERIOR: 3 semicircular arches with coffered intrados
subdivide the library; roof with trusses with 3 queen posts
and arched braces.
(Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 61).
Listing NGR: ST6005173477
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings