This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4619 / 51°27'42"N
Longitude: -2.5212 / 2°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 363889
OS Northings: 173787
OS Grid: ST638737
Mapcode National: GBR CSG.LS
Mapcode Global: VH88P.8J05
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380729
Location: Bristol, BS15
Electoral Ward/Division: St George Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Two Mile Hill St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW TWO MILE HILL ROAD, St George
901-1/56/1849 (South side)
Church of St Michael
Church. 1848, mid C19 N aisle. By E Gabriel. Pennant rubble
with limestone dressings and slate roof.
PLAN: nave with a later N aisle, chancel, NW porch and W
tower. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: chancel gable has angle buttresses, a small
2-centred arched 3-light window with a small oval window
above. 2-light chancel with buttresses between; raised nave
gable, gabled N aisle with 2-light E window and quatrefoil
above, N elevation with 3 paired windows with buttresses
between and a gabled porch to the W end with a 2-centred
arched doorway. Similar windows to S nave elevation, with a
3-stage tower to the W end with angle buttresses, weathered
bands to each stage, and paired, louvred belfry lights, with a
corbelled band between the top of the buttresses beneath an
ashlar parapet. Clock to north side of tower with gabled hood.
2-centre arched doorway with 3 orders to tower, with battened
door and leaded glazing.
INTERIOR: chancel with 3 sedilia with trefoil arches and
crocketed gables in the S window, hoodmould to the E window,
and corbelled shafts to the cusped arch-braced collar truss
roof, moulded 2-centre chancel arch on painted corbels; 5-bay
N arcade of round shafts with painted moulded stiff leaf
capitals to moulded 2-centre arches; 2-centre W arch to organ
HISTORICAL NOTE: one of Bristol's 7 Commissioners' churches,
and an advanced Ecclesiological design for its date.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 454).
Listing NGR: ST6388973787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings