This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.459 / 51°27'32"N
Longitude: -2.5307 / 2°31'50"W
OS Eastings: 363223
OS Northings: 173473
OS Grid: ST632734
Mapcode National: GBR CQH.FT
Mapcode Global: VH88P.2LZC
Entry Name: Air Balloon Hill Council Schools, Junior School
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379787
Location: Bristol, BS5
Electoral Ward/Division: St George Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Two Mile Hill St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW HILLSIDE ROAD, St George
901-1/56/1841 (North side)
Air Balloon Hill Council Schools,
Junior school. 1905. By Latrobe and Weston. Pennant rubble
with limestone ashlar dressings, and double Roman tile hipped,
gabled roofs. 2 similar groups with central halls and ranges
of classrooms to each side. Art Nouveau style.
Asymmetrical groups with ashlar bands to cill, lintel and
between, and coped gables. The SE block has a hall with gabled
ends, large Venetian windows with a 2-centred arched middle
window, side dormers and a square ridge cupola with angle
buttresses and a copper dome. In front a pair of gables has
tall central and lower flanking flat-headed windows separated
by shallow buttresses, with segmental pediments to the tops of
the gables over ashlar panels inscribed AIR BALLOON HILL to
the left and COUNCIL SCHOOLS to the right, in Art
To the left return is a range of 3 plain gables with
segmental-arched heads to central windows with lower flanking
windows. To the right return is a single-storey block with a
left-hand doorway with notched lintels on corbels flanked by
round piers; toward the rear are 2 gables as the left return,
separated by a parapeted section with a right-hand doorway
under a heavy weathered lintel, and central raised window with
segmental-arched head and a shallow gabled parapet above.
Attached to the NE corner is a similar group, with a central
hall and ranges of 3 gables to each side; a single-storey
front block has a left-hand segmental-arched doorway with
round piers with domed tops, and a right-hand doorway with a
heavy, weathered lintel; left-hand 2-storey service block with
parapet and pyramidal roof, and first-floor window with
segmental-arched recessed ashlar lintel.
INTERIOR: Art Nouveau-styled hammer beam roofs to the central
halls. Part of a group with the Infant School (qv) and
Instruction Centre (qv), and sharing many details with them. A
fine composition by one of the few Bristol architects to
experiment with Art Nouveau.
(Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 82).
Listing NGR: ST6322373473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings