This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.488 / 51°29'16"N
Longitude: -2.5893 / 2°35'21"W
OS Eastings: 359178
OS Northings: 176727
OS Grid: ST591767
Mapcode National: GBR C95.BF
Mapcode Global: VH88G.2VHN
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity with St Edmund
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380800
Location: Bristol, BS7
Electoral Ward/Division: Bishopston and Ashley Down
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Horfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST57NE WELLINGTON HILL, Horfield
901-1/53/1413 (North side)
04/03/77 Church of the Holy Trinity with St
Also known as: Horfield Parish Church WELLINGTON HILL
Church. C15 W tower, c1847 nave and aisles by W Butterfield,
chancel and crossing tower dated 1893 and transepts 1913 and
MATERIALS: squared, coursed Lias for the medieval work,
snecked Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a slate
PLAN: cruciform plan with west tower and crossing tower, south
porch and north-west chapel. Perpendicular style, except
Decorated Gothic Revival-style nave.
EXTERIOR: chancel has angle buttresses and E window with
reticulated tracery; side chapel to the N with 2-light E
window, and c1920 flat roof annex with saddleback coped
parapet, and an octagonal ashlar stair turret.
N transept has a 7-light mullion ground-floor window with
leaded metal casements between buttresses, and a similar
3-light first-floor window. 3-bay N aisle has flat-headed
3-light windows flanking a similar 2-light one, and a
clerestory dormer to the E with reticulated tracery. Over the
crossing is a squat tower with 2 windows on each elevation,
stepped crenellations and a pyramidal roof. At the NW corner
is an early C20 single-storey chapel with angle buttresses, a
plain N door flanked by arrow slits with a crenellated parapet
and square pinnacles.
The S transept has a large 3-light window with chamfered
reveals and a hood with king and bishop stops, and an open
porch with a scroll-moulded reveal with an inner door with
leaded overlight. Open porch to the W end, with wide, clasping
buttresses and small side windows.
Small, 2-stage C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses and a
low, plain door, beneath a 2-light window with hollow
chamfered mouldings and a hood with scrolled stops; 1- and
2-light windows to the second stage, a S clock, and ashlar
crenellations with crocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: 1-bay chancel, a square-section round arch to the S,
with an open piscina set in the springer. Wide arches either
side of the choir on hexagonal responds and foliate caps. In
the N transept is a C20 painted organ loft. Pointed arches
with foliate capitals around the crossing and to the aisles.
3-bay nave with pointed arches on hexagonal shafts and moulded
capitals. Arch-braced queen-post roof on ovolo corbels. Glazed
C20 W screen with green glass; wooden winder stair up into W
FITTINGS: C16 octagonal stone font with tracery panels, and an
octagonal pulpit on a short shaft, with open Tudor arches and
Tudor roses, with iron-railed steps up. 5 bells, the 4 largest
MEMORIALS: include a number of wall tablets from 1763.
The church is set within an unusual circular graveyard.
(Horfield Parish Church, A Short History: 1980-).
Listing NGR: ST5917876727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings