This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.46 / 51°27'35"N
Longitude: -2.6084 / 2°36'30"W
OS Eastings: 357830
OS Northings: 173621
OS Grid: ST578736
Mapcode National: GBR C5H.2G
Mapcode Global: VH88M.QKXM
Plus Code: 9C3VF95R+XM
Entry Name: Broadcasting House
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380866
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773NE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/3/1114 (East side)
04/03/77 Nos.21 AND 23
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.21 AND 23
Pair of attached houses, now office. 1852. Built by JC Lee.
Limestone ashlar with lateral stacks and a concrete tile
hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. Each of 3
storeys and basement; 3-window range.
A symmetrical front has projecting 1-window wings with large
Roman Doric porticos, banded ground floor in between, clasping
Ionic pilasters to the wings and party wall, frieze, dentil
cornice and parapet. The doorways have architraves, an
overlight and double 3-panel doors; right-hand one is blocked.
Architraves, console cornices to the first floor, plate-glass
ground-floor sashes, French windows to the middle first floor,
and 6/6-pane sashes the rest. A first-floor tented balcony
across the middle on stone brackets with wrought-iron railings
in oval panels. Left-hand single storey late C19 block is
banded, with 2 windows and a moulded parapet coping. INTERIOR:
entrance halls with dogleg stairs, cast-iron balusters and
curtails, modillion cornices and 6-panel doors. Nos 21-33 (qv)
are linked into a single office.
Listing NGR: ST5783073621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings