History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

163-169, WHITELADIES ROAD (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4686 / 51°28'7"N

Longitude: -2.6132 / 2°36'47"W

OS Eastings: 357504

OS Northings: 174585

OS Grid: ST575745

Mapcode National: GBR C4D.0C

Mapcode Global: VH88M.NBDZ

Entry Name: 163-169, WHITELADIES ROAD (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380882

Location: Bristol, BS6

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Cotham St Saviour with St Mary and St Paul, Clifton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5774 WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/34/1129 (East side)
04/03/77 Nos.163-169 (Odd)

GV II

Includes: No.1 BURLINGTON ROAD Clifton.
Terrace of 6 houses, now shops and offices. c1840. Bank of
1899 by George Silley. For Wilts and Dorset Bank. Limestone
ashlar, party wall stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth
plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys and attic; 3:4:3-window
range.
A formal terrace with late C19 & C20 ground-floor shops and a
bank in front; the ends of the terrace break forward, with a
full elevation in the right-hand return, and the entrance to
the end house in the rear. Banded ground floor, windows with
architraves, cornice and coped attic storey; 6/6-pane first
and second-floor sashes, and 3/3-pane attic sashes. Blind
right-hand windows, below a lateral stack with central
balustrade.
The right return has a 3-window range with a central doorway,
tripartite outer first-floor windows, the right-hand one with
a cast-iron balcony. Porch to the rear has a cornice and
6-panel door, with margin windows. The rear central section
has 9/9-pane semicircular-arched stair lights. Elaborate
Edwardian Baroque-style bank has a granite plinth, an arcade
of 5 semicircular-arched windows, separated by blocked Tuscan
columns, doorways at the left end and right-hand corner have
rounded granite frames, and a full-width balustraded parapet;
bowed right-hand 3-window end.
INTERIOR: bank has a panelled ceiling and an oval domed
lantern.


Listing NGR: ST5750474585

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.