This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.468 / 51°28'4"N
Longitude: -2.6136 / 2°36'48"W
OS Eastings: 357476
OS Northings: 174512
OS Grid: ST574745
Mapcode National: GBR C3D.XM
Mapcode Global: VH88M.NC5H
Plus Code: 9C3VF99P+5H
Entry Name: St John's Place
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378843
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton All Saints with St John
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5774 APSLEY ROAD, Clifton
901-1/34/689 (South side)
04/03/77 St John's Place
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St John with St Anselm)
Church, now offices. 1841. By John Hicks. Chancel 1864 by SB
Gabriel. Squared Brandon Hill Grit rubble with limestone
dressings, limestone ashlar towers and pantile roof.
Cruciform plan with twin W towers. Perpendicular Gothic
Shallow, crenellated E gable has diagonal buttresses and a
6-light window with panel tracery and lamb stops, and flowers
carved in the drip. N chancel window has 2 lights in a
4-centred arch; the gabled N transept has an arched doorway
with Tudor flowers to the mouldings, diagonally set buttress
pinnacles either side with angel capitals and a crocketed ogee
hood, and a 4-light window above; the transept W window and
those in the 4-bay nave are narrow with 3 lights and a transom
in 4-centred arches; the W bay forms the base of the tower.
Similar S elevation has a late C19 vestry against the chancel,
with 1- and 3-light flat-headed windows.
The W front is flanked by 2-stage towers with diagonal
buttresses, arched W doorways with casement mouldings and head
stops, and 2-light windows to the side elevations;
second-stage paired lancets have linked, stilted hoods, and
dragon corbels between them to diagonal buttress pinnacles
which rise through a plain parapet, with crocketed corner
pinnacles; 2-stage openwork turrets have narrow cinquefoil
windows and crenellated tops; the W front is set back, with an
arched doorway in a label mould with dragons in the spandrels
and lancets each side; above is a 4-light Perpendicular window
in a crenellated gable containing a crocketed niche with a
INTERIOR not inspected. Converted to offices and auction rooms
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 293; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-).
Listing NGR: ST5747674512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings