This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4646 / 51°27'52"N
Longitude: -2.6113 / 2°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 357628
OS Northings: 174134
OS Grid: ST576741
Mapcode National: GBR C4F.FT
Mapcode Global: VH88M.PGC3
Plus Code: 9C3VF97Q+RF
Entry Name: Clifton Down Station steam Tavern Public House and Attached Screen Walls
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380884
Location: Clifton Down, Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton All Saints with St John
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5774 WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/34/1131 (West side)
Clifton Down Station, Steam Tavern
Public House and attached screen
Railway station, now station and public house. Opened 1874,
converted 1970s. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone
dressings, lateral and ridge stacks and a tiled hipped roof.
Single-depth plan. Tudor Gothic Revival style.
2 storeys; 3-window range, with single-storey side blocks
Central booking office has rock-faced quoins, impost band and
sill band; corbel table below a weathered parapet; three
2-centre arches have splayed reveals and C20 glazing and door,
and large second-floor cross windows with trefoil arches in
flat heads. The roof has lead finials. End-gabled block each
end have 5 single and paired flat-headed windows with glazing
bars, the E block has a parapeted end section, the W block has
a rounded corner beneath a moulded, corbelled corner. The rear
elevation is articulated into rectangular recessed bays with
corbel tables, with blocked openings to the backs of the
station blocks. INTERIOR: converted to a public house.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: screen wall, articulated into bays as the
station buildings, extends from the station to the Whiteladies
Road bridge (not included). Built as the terminus of the
Clifton Extension Railway, it became a through station with
the opening of the Clifton Down tunnel in 1885. Formerly with
good glazed canopies on cast-iron posts, which extended on
both sides supported by the screen walls (qv).
(Oakely M: Bristol Suburban: Temple Meads, Local Stations etc:
Bristol: 1990-: 42).
Listing NGR: ST5762874134
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings