History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bartholomew's Church of England School and Attached Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Crewkerne, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.883 / 50°52'58"N

Longitude: -2.7989 / 2°47'56"W

OS Eastings: 343894

OS Northings: 109581

OS Grid: ST438095

Mapcode National: GBR MG.SLQH

Mapcode Global: FRA 560R.Z9N

Entry Name: St Bartholomew's Church of England School and Attached Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 6 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390299

Location: Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Crewkerne

Built-Up Area: Crewkerne

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Crewkerne

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Crewkerne

Listing Text


CREWKERNE

ST4309 BARN STREET
876-1/6/20 (South side)
St Bartholemew's Church of England
School & attached walls & railings

II

School. Founded as a National School in 1847, with late C19
alterations and additions.
MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone ashlar, slate roof with stone
copings to gable ends and reconstructed stone stack to right
gable end.
PLAN: L-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey; symmetrical 4-window range. A raised
parapet above the gable of the central projecting porch
supports a rebuilt gabled belfry; planked double doors are set
in a Tudor arch with foliate spandrels and shield stops. Tall
3-light mullioned windows with transoms toward the top, one
pane above and 3 below, are under a continuous labelmould.
Diagonal buttresses to the corners. A carved scroll above the
porch has the inscription " Crewkerne National School, erected
1847".
The rear wing to the left four 3-light stone mullioned and
transomed windows with cast-iron glazing bars.
INTERIOR: The hall to the right has painted stone corbels
supporting chamfered arch braces to a roof structure obscured
by a suspended ceiling which has large wooden pendants
projecting through it.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A rubblestone plinth with Ham Hill stone
coping steps uphill into Barn Street and attaches to the right
hand buttress; it supports spearhead railings with scroll
supports and double gates to the centre with long/short
railings.
(Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.9).


Listing NGR: ST4389409581

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.