This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2084 / 51°12'30"N
Longitude: -4.1234 / 4°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 251766
OS Northings: 147604
OS Grid: SS517476
Mapcode National: GBR KN.417C
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.GWYK
Entry Name: 34, High Street
Listing Date: 26 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390209
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 HIGH STREET
853-1/6/70 (North side)
Formerly known as: No.34 Royal Clarence Hotel HIGH STREET.
Shops and bar with living accommodation above, originally the
Royal Clarence Hotel. Probably 1881 by WM Robbins of
MATERIALS: rendered solid walls. Slated roof with crested
ridge tiles. Red brick chimney, with pilaster strips, on
right-hand side wall.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 5 windows wide. Eclectic style with
classical articulation and rustication, and Romanesque/Gothic
Rusticated ground storey with round-arched openings, the door
and window details altered in C20.
Second and third storeys have segmental-headed windows at each
end in the centre, these alternating with canted wooden bay
windows. The latter are relatively plain, but the others are
ornate. Those in the second storey have prominent bracketed
balconies with scrolled and finialed cast-iron railings
carrying the inscription ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL. The openings
behind have moulded arches and hood moulds, and contain the
original glazed doors in glazed surrounds.
The third storey windows each have 2 segmental headed lights
with centre column, a single segmental hood mould covering
both lights; bracketed sills with elaborate iron guard rails.
Fourth storey has small round windows in the middle and outer
bays, each with bracketed sill and hood mould; the outer 2
have patterned glazing, while the middle one is blind and
carries the monogram RL (probably the initials of the
proprietor, Richard Lake).
The intervening windows are tall with blind, pointed heads
decorated with a fan-pattern and are surmounted by small
gables which rise into the parapet above. The parapet is
corbelled and has round-arched panels with heavily moulded
base and coping. At either end and flanking the 2 tall fourth
storey windows are tall panelled pedestals with poyramidical
tops having ball finials. All windows except the round ones
have plain sashes.
Long roughcast side wall to Regent Place has 5 second storey
windows with transom lights containing patterned glazing and
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: the hotel was described as 'recently rebuilt' in
1886, but the initials RL on the front suggest an earlier
date, since Richard Lake has been replaced by Charles E Clemow
as proprietor in 1883. On 3.1.1881 the Local Board of Health
had approved alterations and additions to the Royal Clarence
for Richard Lake with drawings by W M Robbins. The drawings do
not show a new front, but possibly it would not have required
The Clarence was described as one of the 3 principal
Ilfracombe inns in Banfield's Guide to Ilfracombe of 1830, and
was apparently the only one of importance in the main street.
The name seems to relate to the visit of the Duchess of
Clarence (wife of the future William IV) in 1827, although
apparently she did not stay at the hotel.
(Pevsner N: North Devon; Kelly's Directory of Devonshire:
1883-: 24; North Devon D.C Planning Department: Ilfracombe
Local Board of Health Planning Register: 4: PLAN FILE NO.16;
Lamplugh L: Ilfracombe 1984: 52).
Listing NGR: SS5176647604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings