History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate and Attached Churchyard Walls to All Saints Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston-on-Trent, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8604 / 52°51'37"N

Longitude: -1.3851 / 1°23'6"W

OS Eastings: 441497

OS Northings: 329391

OS Grid: SK414293

Mapcode National: GBR 7H2.QM3

Mapcode Global: WHDH7.PCMG

Plus Code: 9C4WVJ67+5X

Entry Name: Lychgate and Attached Churchyard Walls to All Saints Church

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203525

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82990

Location: Aston upon Trent, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Aston upon Trent

Built-Up Area: Aston-on-Trent

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Aston-on-Trent All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in


4/5 (west Side)
Lychgate and Attached
10.11.67 Churchyard Walls to
All Saints Church
Lychgate and attached walls. c1916, Dec style lychgate and C19
walls. Ashlar and timber with steeply pitched graduated stone
slate, half hipped roof, plus ornately carved bargeboards and
pendants. Lychgate has stone plinth with four large octagonal
timber corner posts, each with a frieze of blind quatrefoils to
top, supporting large moulded brackets for the eaves. To the
centre there are three moulded four-centred arches, with pierced
spandrels, supporting the roof, which are in turn supported by
piers resting on the plinth, each of which has a small attached
nookshaft actually carrying the arch. The outer edges of the
plinths have stone walls on, creating a bench-like arrangement.
These carry an arcade of four-centred arches with pierced
quatrefoils over. There are similar arches and quatrefoils
between the corner piers and those supporting the roof. The
central tie beam has inscribed on it 'In memory of James
Shuttleworth Holden, Rector 1869-1916. Erected by his friends
and parishioners'. Above there is a simple collared roof and in
each gable there is a pierced timber screen. Attached to either
side there are random rubble walls which enclose the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SK4149729391

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.