History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lions Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Rockbeare, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7419 / 50°44'30"N

Longitude: -3.3824 / 3°22'56"W

OS Eastings: 302556

OS Northings: 94497

OS Grid: SY025944

Mapcode National: GBR P4.QQ42

Mapcode Global: FRA 37T3.S4W

Entry Name: Lions Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352423

Location: Rockbeare, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Rockbeare

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Rockbeare St Mary with St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Rockbeare

Listing Text


SY 09 SW ROCKBEARE

3/101 Lions Farmhouse
-

- II

Farmhouse. C17 and date plaque of 1696, modernised and enlarged in late C19. The
walls are plastered and the materials unknown but the original section is probably
cob on rubble footings whilst the extensions are brick or stone rubble; one of the
stacks maybe cob, another is late C17 brick and the extension has a late C19 brick
kitchen stack; slate roof.
The main block has a 2-room plan with central cross passage and faces east. The
left (southern) room has an end stack and the right room has a projecting end stack.
The rear blocks are under parallel roofs at right angles to the main range appear to
be late C19 and include contemporary stair and kitchen. 2 storeys.
Symmetrical main front has 2 ground floor and 4 first floor windows. All are
similar late C19 casements and those on the first floor are half dormers with gabled
roofs. Contemporary part-glazed and panelled front door with slate-roofed monopitch
hood on curving brackets is set a little right of centre. The main roof is gable-
ended. These gables and those of the half dormers have similar wavy-shaped barge
boards. The right end stack has weathered offsets and the original chimney shaft
contains a limestone plaque inscribed TRA 1696. The shaft has been extended with
late C19 brick.
Interior is largely the result of the late C19 refurbishment although much of the
C17 fabric remains in the front block. The axial beam across the right room and
cross passage is boxed in but that in the left room is soffit-chamfered with
exaggerated scroll stops. Both fireplaces are blocked. The roof was not examined
since the extension of the right and chimney shaft suggests that the roof was
replaced at a higher level in the late C19.


Listing NGR: SY0255694497

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.