This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5058 / 53°30'20"N
Longitude: -1.5663 / 1°33'58"W
OS Eastings: 428865
OS Northings: 401101
OS Grid: SE288011
Mapcode National: GBR KWHW.QZ
Mapcode Global: WHCBX.X4BP
Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church
Listing Date: 20 August 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382355
Location: Thurgoland, Barnsley, S35
Civil Parish: Thurgoland
Built-Up Area: Thurgoland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thurgoland Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
The following item shall be added:
THURGOLAND HALIFAX ROAD
SE20SE (south side)
4/101 Holy Trinity Church
Parish Church. 1870, additions 1932. Designed by G.E.Street with
alterations by Sir Charles Nicholson. Nave with south aisle and
north porch, chancel has south transept and north organ chamber
and vestry. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with
ashlar coped gables. Chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses. West
front has central stepped buttress with flanking single 2 light
lancets with geometrical tracery and transoms. Above the gable
has a bellcote. North front has projecting gabled porch with
pointed opening and to the left 3 tall plate tracery 2 light
pointed windows. Beyond a projecting double gabled organ chamber,
that to the right with 2 lancets, that to the left with a large
cross-mullion window and behind a tall stack with set-offs.
Beyond a low flat roofed, single storey, vestry addition.
Chancel east wall has a 3 light tracery with hood mould.
Projecting south transept has to east 2 circular windows with
asped tracery. South wall has a single pointed arched opening
containing 3 graduated lancets. South aisle has 3 pairs of small
lancets, and to the east a taller 2 light window.
INTERIOR. Has 3 bay south arcade with pointed chamfered arches
and circular piers. A double chamfered, pointed chancel arch, and
2 bay chancel arcades on eitherside, chancel has low stone screen
and tall wooden side screens. Blind arcading and reredos to
chancel east wall, and to south a piscina and sedilia. Bronze and
iron altar rail, contemporary choir stalls and-pews. Fine stone
pulpit with black marble shafts, and fine bowl and stem front,
with a row of lancets and 3 rows of roses, both typical of
Street. Contemporary wooden roofs.
Listing NGR: SE2886501101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings