This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6623 / 50°39'44"N
Longitude: -3.3307 / 3°19'50"W
OS Eastings: 306044
OS Northings: 85575
OS Grid: SY060855
Mapcode National: GBR P6.MS52
Mapcode Global: FRA 37XB.86N
Entry Name: Sandycross Lodge Including Boundary Walls and Gates to South
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203843
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86224
Location: Bicton, East Devon, Devon, EX9
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Budleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BICTON BICTON PARK
SY 08 NE
3/23 Sandycross Lodge including
11.11.52 boundary walls and gates to south
Pair of lodges and gates to Bicton House (qv), now 2 cottages. Probably circa .1800, t
enlarged late C19-early C20 and again circa 1980. Limestone ashlar facing brick or
concrete blocks; roof material unknown; wrought iron gates.
The lodge comprises 2 small cottages just inside the gates. One is facing east, the
other west; both onto the drive leading through the park to Bicton House. Each
cottage plan is a mirror of the other and both have followed a similar development.
They begun as small, square 1-room plan cottages with rear end stacks. Later in the
C19 another room was added to the rear of each, and a third room added behind those
circa 1980. Neo-Classical style. Single storey.
Each cottage front contains a part-glazed and part-panelled door. It has side
lights, a narrow stone lintel above, and above that, a large fanlight containing a
radial pattern of glazing bars. Over the top is a shallow hoodmould. The doorway
is flanked by pairs of Tuscan pilasters which rest on the plinth and carry a
lightly-moulded entablature. Above the projecting eaves cornice is a plain blocking
course raised at the corners. The side walls are similar to the front except that
here the archways contains tripartite sashes with central 12-pane sashes with
rectangular panels below. The extensions are lower, plainer and contain 12-pane
sashes. All the roofs are flat.
There are double gates to the drive carriageways flanked by pedestrian gates. From
either side low walls extend across the lodge cottages to tall piers. From here
similar low quadrant walls curve outwards and forwards to tall terminal piers. Each
iron gate pier has a tall and narrow oblong frame. There is a square within a
square and diagonal cross top and bottom. Between these there are uprights set a
little in from the stiles and the middle infilled with diagonal crosses with small
bosses on the centres. The carriageway piers are surmounted by open heraldic badges
surmounted by coronets. The top rails of the gates ramp down across the middle and
the double lockrail contains flat ovals containing diagonal crosses. The rails are
spear-headed rails. The stone piers have panelled sides and there are pedestals on
top of the caps. The 2 inner piers are surmounted by the Rolle arms carved in
Listing NGR: SY0604485575
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings