History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

K6 Telephone Kiosk

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.663 / 50°39'46"N

Longitude: -3.3387 / 3°20'19"W

OS Eastings: 305478

OS Northings: 85666

OS Grid: SY054856

Mapcode National: GBR P6.1XM0

Mapcode Global: FRA 37WB.544

Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk

Listing Date: 20 October 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1395237

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506633

Location: Bicton, East Devon, Devon, EX9

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: East Budleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
East Budleigh

Listing Text

BICTON

1587/0/10008 YETTINGTON
20-OCT-10 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK

II
K6 telephone kiosk

DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It appears to be in good condition (2009).

The kiosk stands at the side of the road in the east of the village. Approximately 10m to the west is situated Lemprice Cottage (Grade II), and on the opposite side of the road stands The Cottage (Grade II). The kiosk has a strong visual relationship with these two listed buildings and can be clearly seen in conjunction with them when approaching along the road from either direction.

HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Yettington, Devon, is recommended for designation at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with two listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a village setting of this important C20 industrial design

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The K6 telephone kiosk in Yettington, Devon, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with two listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a village rural setting of this important C20 industrial design

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.