This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0043 / 52°0'15"N
Longitude: 1.1789 / 1°10'44"E
OS Eastings: 618288
OS Northings: 238758
OS Grid: TM182387
Mapcode National: GBR VPT.BVY
Mapcode Global: VHLC0.DW3C
Entry Name: Woolverstone House Including Walls Attached to Each Side
Listing Date: 16 March 1972
Last Amended: 29 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277317
Location: Woolverstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Woolverstone
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woolverstone St Michael
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1838 WOOLVERSTONE MANNINGS LANE
16.3.72 including walls attached
to each side (formerly
listed as Corners)
Shown on OS map as Corners House. Convent, now school house. 1901 by Sir Edwin
Lutyens for Mrs Berners. Red brick, partly tile hung. Plain tile roofs, now
mainly replaced by unsympathetic modern tiles. Courtyard plan with single-
storey U-shaped entrance range. Single-storey chapel attached to left. Main
range 2 storeys and attic with triple gabled entrance front. Entrance range:
carriage arch with timber gate. Leaded-light casements in pegged flush timber
surrounds. Tall, steeply-pitched swept roof, tall ridge stacks. Main range,
entrance front: Jettied 1st floor on square tile piers which divide into 4
shafts with cornices. Central studded door with miniature balusters to peep-
hole and original fittings. Tile lintel. Further casements of same type as
entrance range. 1st floor has mullion and transom casements with leaded lights.
Casements with leaded lights to attic. Garden front: Single-storey projecting
outer bays under catslide roofs clasp large stacks which rise to gables.
Central entrance with splayed jambs and arch of 4 orders. Splayed buttresses.
Casement windows with leaded lights in flush pegged timber surrounds. Band of
casements between gables below eaves. Clustered stacks to rear chimneys and
further group of 5 diamond-set stacks to ridge. Steeply-pitched swept roof.
Chapel recessed at right of garden front has external stack to gable end and
similar casement windows. In angle between chapel and entrance range is an
external stack with bellcote. Garden walls to each side of house, approximately
3 metres in height with buttresses and tiled coping, round arched gateways to
each side with splayed jambs and arch of 2 orders. To left, wall ramps down
to further gateway. Interior: Many original fittings including doors, window
furniture fireplaces, tiled floors etc. Groin vaulted passage runs length of
house to entrance front. C17 style staircase opposite entrance. Known origi-
nally as St Paul's Home, the house was built for Mrs C Berners, a lay sister
of the East End Sisters of Mercy.
Illustrated in Sandon, E., Suffolk Houses, 1977, p332.
Listing NGR: TM1828838758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings